1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Qtvr?

Discussion in 'Creating Content' started by holly, Jul 5, 2004.

1. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

Anyone ever used QTVRs as source material? Is there a good way to handle it live in a show? Since my VJ processes largely work on foreground/background, I've thought that it could be a good way to deliver a great rendered environment/background without setting up keyframed animations in my 3d app....

There are a few ways to convert a QTVR into a movie:

QTVR Recorder lets you manipulate the VR in realtime then export it into any QT codec... It's cheap ($20) and I think it can do realtime export of PAL or NTSC DV...??? Maybe through the FireWire???

QTVR Matte is an AfterEffects plug-in, but is over-priced ($50) and os9 only....

There was also a little free-b from the Apple website that would export a simple rotation mov called QTVRTHUMBNAIL or similar. It was for making animated gifs, but you could set the mov res to any number and make a QT mov. I'm hoping for something a little better than just a simple spin.

I understand there are MAX/PD resources for QTVR handling. Has anyone integrated them into one of the dozens of MAX apps? How about some simple midi or audiovisualizer controls? There are really only 3 parameters to a QTVR: Position:X/Y, Zoom, and the lens distortion that either makes the VR "flat" or "curved" at the edges (like standing inside a sphere). I've done some nice very simple text fx by loading a title page into a QTVR, and when it's just abstractions and designs/patterns they can look pretty cool.
  2. lowRes

lowRes another member

hi!

soundbringer , a guy who lives in manchester, does them (qt vr's) and sometimes uses them for vj'ing!

he really has done some special places and he controls them with the mouse to the melody of his own musics!

check:: mr. soundbringer 's web site

i think izzy accepts qt vr's so.. why not build a patch to handle them..
    i'm currently developping an interface for a post graduation course that will handle them 4 sure.. still.. a lot of werk 2 do..

*)
  3. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

4. vjpixylight

Better QTVR question

:eek:
    Not trying to take away from this fine QTVR discussion that Holly so dearly started:cheers: but...
    The real question, the 10,000 rupi question is...

What VJ soft's support QTVR?
    I have at times gotten MD3 to recognize some of the QTVR keyboard shortcut's, but since MD3 uses most of the same keyboard shortcut's, I don't have near enuf control over the QTVR movie..:grrr:
  5. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

What VJ soft's support QTVR?

I thought that was the thread.... Well, that and everything else QTVR.

I can't believe you got QTVRs to work in MD! I have MD2 and MD4 and will have to try!

I'd like to see how soundbringer uses them live. Just fullscreen the QT and HIDE THE CURSER under display settings? I'm imagining myself totally getting lost while the VR spins out of control....
    where's that damn QT finger???
  6. vjpixylight

here's another more typical one..

well I really haven't.
    since MD is director based, it support's all the QT protocol's including QTVR..

The problem is that MD3 also uses the same keyboard strokes for it's live manipilation, and alway's seem to override the QTVR setting's..
    I have managed to get the say QTVR zoom to momentarily work in MD, but that's it:(

This one has a couple of 'Hot Spot's" in it, and is a typical picture QTVR...
    Unfortunately Worx only support's up to 36 images, and for this I needed about 48...

http://www.spacedub.org/EtherChakraPanorama.mov
  7. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

Hmmm.... Have you tried revolVR? It's like a little drag-n-drop script that adds an automated rotation to the VR. You can even grab the VR and "spin" it by starting momentum and letting go, it spins on its own.

I wonder if that sort of script function would work inside MD as well....
  8. MJ

MJ I've given money to VJForums

i've done a few shows with qtvr
    also as a foreground/background thing

progged it all in max/msp/jitter
    works great

found a lot of qtvr's at
    this site
  9. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

corrected above and added link to:
    revolVR
  10. lightandshadow

lightandshadow New Member

Holly,

While it's not free, you might want to look at Live Stage.

http://www.totallyhip.com/livestage_detail.asp

Live Stage allows you to create scripts that run as a track inside standard quicktime movies and QTVRs. You could write a script that pans a QTVR based on a fixed, random or timed sequence. You can also add video to a QTVR, which would allow you to display prerecorded video on a TV screen that was part of the original background, etc.
  11. vjpixylight

cool

I didn't know live stage did QTVR..
    I used the tryout licence for live stage to make this interface for Theta Drive..
    http://www.vjmud.com/pixy/Showreels/SDVTV-B-01.mov (61meg QT5)
    ;)

...hmmm apparently I didn't make that tile web proof:confused:

..anyhow Live Stage also let's you make customizable GUI interface's for QT movies and QTVR..
  12. spark

spark cut-up, composit, create

vdmx has had qtvr support, and i love qtvrs, but i've never really found them to work live - they required too much cpu to render as i remember.

to author them, it was either a day inside photoshop or the now oldskool apple qtvr studio that could autostitch. i notice there is realviz's stictcher, i've just tried the demo out but couldn't really get it going - probably something to do with 3 megapixel images and my 3 year old laptop.

here's a qtvr scene i made of a very nice gig: www.tobyz.net/media/prosession/ps-r1-scene.scene (you may need to save it and then open with qt player)

toby
  13. vjpixylight

Nice one Toby:)
  14. Ocular

Ocular New Member

Union does handle QTVR as well, but i have never really found a good use for it in performance. It is too bad that QTVR did not go further than it did (assuming it will not) but Live Stage does offer a lot of interesting things in terms of QTVR