1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rasberry Pi $35 HDMI out mini-computer

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by jonbonk, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jonbonk

jonbonk New Member

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

35$ computer w/ 256 RAM, SD card, ethernet, 2 USB, GPU, and both video/HDMI out. And the size of a deck of cards. Amazing.

So many people bought them today (they were released for purchase today) that the retailers websites crashed.

I will get one (when they have any in stock) and review.

2. 6071842

6071842 I've given money to VJForums

cool, so very interesting!

3. ender

ender Native Resolution

4. Paul M

Paul M New Member

Ouch.
    Thanks for the info.
    Sounds really great :)

5. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

Things that would be possible:
    video synthesizer.
    A playback device for installations.
    Cheap Composite mixer (with 2x usb capture cards).
    XBMC media player
    Cheap server

Now we just need good coders! :)

6. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

I really don't get what the fuss is about.

OK it's an interesting platform if your a linux / embedded systems developer. But for end users its (currently) a very small paper weight.

7. cat

cat Senior Moments

I can see a home brewed P10 kind of device could easily be made from this and a few buttons, for less than £100, or headless networked players, obviously needs software developed for it, but the base pc is £20, I think its awesome!

8. BrainStove

BrainStove The Brainy Stove

A couple of ideas

I kinda thought start a new thread on the developers forum about this post, but this thread also looks useful to get proper opinions to my quest.

Perhaps at this moment, barely 256MB Ram shared CPU & GPU memory looks pretty scarce for useful RT VJ applications, but I'm wondering how strong this platform would be to develop kickass weapons for Interactive Digital Signage & DOOH tools to monetize, as we deserve, our visual knowHow installations gigs, in short, as a consultancy solution for few buck$ spent from our pockets.

My real question for software developers is: ¿Could these new OSs, Programming languages, SDKs & APIs jointly with your coding magic, help us VJs to earn a decent living using the Raspberry Pi platform combined with our previously acquired VJing/Visual design, 2D/3D animation skills, knowledge and KnowHow etc. in a whole new industry?

For this matter, I'd also like to know what you think about these other news:

http://www.markkukero.com/2012/02/the-next-big-thing-is-eqela/
    http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android/features-and-specs

Cheers

9. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

The makers want to make an easy platform for teaching kids programming. So I expect they will release simple tools similar to arduino.

I think the raspberry pi will become similar to the arduino. The hardware of the arduino was nothing new or exciting, but the community and simplicity of the software made it such a success (and now there are a lot of libraries).

The 700mhz cpu and 256mb ram are not very exciting, but it also has a good gpu that can accelerate HD video. It would be possible to do some crazy stuff with it.

It's also possible to use C, BASIC and perl for programming so the advanced programmers can do some more hardcore coding.