1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rave Against Racism

Discussion in 'Talk with VJs' started by Scratchpole, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Scratchpole

Scratchpole Hmm still thinking...

You've had the rock now it's time to rave.

The far right have been gaining ground, so it's time to strengthen the message that racism will not be tolerated.

Check the Facebook group for more info:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=51736573661&ref=ts

CALLING ALL PEOPLE !!!!! ONE WEEKEND WORLDWIDE !!! -- RAVE AGAINST RACISM -- EVENTS/PARTIES (Date yet to be set) FOR ALL PEOPLE AND ALL MUSICS !!!

There will be opportunities for visual artists: if you get involved!
    I suggest creating a collection of clips for download. (No problems with server space or using the archive.org)

What do you think?
    What have you got to give?
  2. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

sounds like the kind of thing id be interested in giving support too, and possibly doing somethign at if the opportunity arose..... but im not on bookface :(
  3. Scratchpole

Nice one AIR,
    Don't worry there is a website on the way, will link here when it's up.
    Get talking to promoters and venues see what they have to offer.
    It's gonna be big.
  4. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

ace, i shall keep my eyes peeled.
  5. Mixed Ape

Mixed Ape Confused Primate

I'd be up for contributing, keep me posted
  6. Tony_Blend

Tony_Blend formerly known as theLABvisuals

Definately up for helping out with this one, if Leicester has anything to contribute I'll see what it is.
  7. RayV

RayV =] ++ [=

i'm in

why is it too short. [10 characters law]
    whats wrong with to the point comment.
  8. Scratchpole

Well things are moving on quickly with this project.
    Launch dates set: Friday 22nd, Saturday 23rd and Sunday 24th May.

Any events your involved in could be affiliated. Tell the promoters you work with. Tell the venues you work at. Get them involved.
    There is also a Facebook Rave Against Racism promoters group get 'em on it.

1st confirmed -- RAVE AGAINST RACISM -- events/parties are Corporation, Sheffield, UK, Sunday 24th, and Metaponto beach Italy fri 22nd to sun 24th.

From the Facebook page:
    Hello, I'm John and I'm one of the people putting together and trying to plan the madness that is to come.
    First of all many thanks for joining this group. 2500 members is way beyond what anybody involved was expecting in such a short space of time and that is before we have talked to any press or media.
    2009 is a very important year for people in Europe due to the European elections in June. In the UK there is a very big chance that the BNP will get two European MEP's. Nick Griffin is standing in the North West and needs less than 10% of the vote to get elected. If they get elected they will receive about a million quid in funding. For a party that is morally bankrupt and very nearly financially bankrupt it would be a massive boost to them.
    There is a rise of the far right all over the world and with the current global recession looking at past trends that is going to increase. We need to be there to combat them and educate people and challenge the lies and bullshit they spout.
  9. 6071842

6071842 I've given money to VJForums

cool cool like this. Ive just joined the group :D
  10. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

I'm In. Joined the face book group. Just wondering tho, is this europe only?
  11. Scratchpole

12. stickygreen

stickygreen this is my custom title

I sent the facebook group admin a message, I might be willing to take on a vancouver event. I have a great outdoor public space, that I've been itching to use for something just like this.

thank you for the link scratchpole.
  13. Scratchpole

Whahey;)
    I'm starting to think of clip ideas already.
    Website should be up next week:)
  14. fata alex

fata alex analog VJ

Yeah im definitely up for getting involved with this, either as or vj, or maybe as my first foray into promoting since moving to bristol...although im sure there'll be plenty of other promoters here keen to get involved, might be more of a help just doing the visuals...
  15. john p

john p New Member

Hello, I'm John and I'm one of the organisers of Rave Against Racism and am partly responsible for the chaos that is about to ensue and I'm happy to answer any questions about the project.
    I will give you a bit of background.
    Both Jamie and I are promoters and have got a fair bit of experience of stage/event/band management, tours, roadies and I'm a failed muso who still uses an Atari for midi sequencing.
    We are both from Sheffield and similar backgrounds.
    I've been very active in Anti Fascism over the last few years and I help run a couple of websites and forums and do background research into the far right around the UK and Europe.
    The main idea about RAR is to help raise awareness about local issues in whatever area the events are taking place, to get people involved and to help support those groups that are already set up. We also want to have a damn good time whilst doing it as well.
    It's also going to be a very useful way of networking for people with similar ideas and ideals.
    We are hoping to be a charity by the end of the year but at the moment we are going to be a not for profit organisation.

We have got about 80 promoters from around the world involved already and that is before we have put out a press release and we have twenty events confirmed including a 10 day beach party in Italy which sounds wonderful.
    If anybody can design us some simple visuals that we can pass onto event organisers to use on their clubnight we would be very greatful
    Anyway I'll stop rambling now.
    Cheers.
  16. Scratchpole

17. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

deffo interested in a London event :)
  18. Scratchpole

Rave Against Racism, Electrowerkz, London. Friday 22nd May 2009

Two rooms of slamming rave action. Leave bad attitudes at the door and get united on the dance floor!

Live Bands:
    Visionary Underground
    Dead Silence Syndicate
    Pin Stickers
    and More to be Announced

DJ's across the venue:
    Nerm [Radio 1 / Shiva Soundsystem]
    Busta Wide Move [Step 13]
    Ely Muff [Headfuk/Dead Pigs]
    Killa KDJ and Brink [Jammin Crew]
    DJ Producer [Rebel Scum/Death chant]
    Freddy Frogs [Frogs Records]
    KTULU [Enjoy Kaos/ HDFK]
    + Special Guest on the night

Live Visuals by:
    Joe Catchpole [Jammin Crew]
    Oddscene
    + more

Electrowerkz
    7 Torrens St
    London

tickets:
    £8 otd
    £5 Advanced from Access All Areas www.accessallareas.org

If anyone else wants to come and plug in... the more the merrier. Let me know in advance.

Cheerio
    Joe
  19. Scratchpole

The Sheffield Launch of Rave Against Racism. 24th May 2009

And the Sheffield Crew have got it going on big style for those of you in't North...

The Sheffield Launch of Rave Against Racism.
    Live Arena
    The Orb ( LIVE with Visual Show ) [oh I wonder who's doing that then???]
    Mixmaster Morris ( Big Chill / Ninja Tune / Samurai FM / Irresistible Force )
    Celt Islam featuring Bongo Chilli + Danman LIVE ( Kritical Mass Records / Lone Trader Records / R.A.R. )
    Alphadrive LIVE ( R.A.R. )
    Ann-D ( Headcharge / R.A.R. )
    Lady Muckcedes + Mr Benz ( Sunshine Girls / R.A.R. )
    Urban Truffle ( Chimp Makes Noise / R.A.R. )

Arena 2
    Mixmaster Morris ( Big Chill / Ninja Tune / Samurai FM / Irresistible Force )
    Oris Jay / Darqwan ( Texture UK )
    Mikey J ( Tuesday Club )
    Alex Deadman + MC Walker ( Junglist Alliance / Dark Crystal / R8 Records )
    Fattasound ( Dubcentral / Universal HiFi )
    Si Cheese ( Dirty Cheese )
    DJ Disorientalist ( Disoriental / R.A.R. )

Arena 3
    A+D+A+M Lab4 ( LIVE with Laser Show )
    Space Sentinelz ( Headcharge / Twisted Traxx / R.A.R. )
    Kam-Pain ( Headcharge / Easy Skankin' Records / R.A.R. )
    Freaktechnique ( Headcharge / R.A.R. )
    Kickflip ( Urban Gorilla / Headcharge / Fat Records / R.A.R. )
    John Wainwright ( Headcharge / Likebreaks / R.A.R. )
    Geenius ( Headcharge / Likebreaks / R.A.R. )

24th May 2009
    9pm - 4am
    Corporation
    1-3 Milton Street
    Sheffield, United Kingdom
  20. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

Hecklers welcome.
  21. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

I'm accurate with a rotten tomato at 100m :D
  22. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko pixel jockey

23. SteveG

Think I'll be able to make this now....Joe/Gary if you fancy a camera + Op gives a shout would be keen to help out;)
  24. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

I've seen your camera work
    you can make coffee.
    white no sugar.
  25. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko pixel jockey

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  26. Scratchpole

Which night Steve?
    I assume you mean Sheffield on the Sunday.....?
  27. SteveG

Yes, spot on Joe. If there's anything I can do to help, self or equipment wise get in touch. Not bothered about VJ'ing but wouldn't mind coming along to capture some footage for you and myself....obviously Live cam too if you fancy. Don't listen to The Old Oricle......he's never tasted my coffee :D
  28. Scratchpole

You would be welcome down in London too. (I prefer tea;))
    I might make it up to Sheffield but not sure yet.
    I reckon' the organisers of the Sheffield event would love to get some footage. You could get in touch with Sheffield organisers via the website: http://www.raveagainstracism.org/ or I'll pass I on your number if you want.
  29. SteveG

You haven't put a date on for the London event...when's that one? Just pass on my number Joe or ask them to drop me an email. I'll drop them a message via their site but that doesn't always work with promoters if they have young helpers with the Promo, sites etc.......any excuse to throw tomato's at Gary....I'll be able to smuggle in a couple of Kgs in a camera case :D
  30. Scratchpole

I did...The London date is: FRIDAY 22nd May
    Three of us confirmed to VJ @ Electrowerks, still room for more.
    Have messaged the Sheffield organisers for you.