1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to Buy your advice

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by Drumzzz, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Drumzzz

Drumzzz New Member

First let me say that the art of Visual Artist is to me the coolest.
    I'm ready to start putting a rig together.....but I on a limited amount of money for now. I have a Mac Book Pro & I have $1000.00 ready to apply to the rig. Is it possible to do this? If so your advice will get mad props. Also I'm getting a New Korg Kaoss Pad. I have heard that this can also be a useful tool in Visual Arts. Thank for the cool site.

Namaste,
    Mike
    :)
    [​IMG]
  2. Drumzzz

Drumzzz New Member

I was hoping that if with what you know now.....what you could do with what i have right now & expand upon it. I do realize that projectors do cost lot for agood one. I'm thinking of small venues with decent lighting rigs inhouse. I would like to do outdoor festivals also. I've to crawl before I can run. As far as the kaoss pad has anyone had a try at it.
  3. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

4. bryandod

bryandod Integrated Visions

Drumzzz,
    Welcome to the forums.:yep: I noticed from your member info that you are from Rome, GA. Do you still live in GA? My wife and I have been VJing together since 2001. We live in Athens, GA and run a company called Integrated Visions Productions. Check out our website at www.integratedvisions.net .
    To answer your question, If I were you the first thing I would purchase would be software. Module 8 and VDMX are both great options. I would also buy some Free Frame effects. They really make VJing more fun. Intrinsic FX from VJFX.com are my favorite. I can play with the feedback effect all day. A good midi controller will make your computer more intuitive. M-audios trigger finger is a really nice controller. There are also alot of other options. Contact me thru my website if you have any other questions. If you are around Atlanta on weekends, maybe we could get together for a drink.

Bryan:inf:
  5. rayrik

rayrik New Member

New Kaos has nothing to do with anything visual, perhaps you confuse it with Kaos Entrancer. I think Sweetwater had one of the last available as they were discontinued.
  6. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

for this kind of laptop rig, you can either output video or DVI/VGA

i would recommend either an Edirol V4 for video out or a firewire A->D converter if you use the DVI/VGA output.

the A->D will let you take an 'upstream' video signal into your computer, so you can mix a DVD etc, in your software.

the V4 will let you mix your computer downstream, with other video devices such as cameras or dvd.
    the advantage of the V4 is that there is little or no delay.
    mixing on a computer kicks in a delay of at least half a second, which is way too much for live cameras.

you could use a video camera with dv in as a A->D converter - or even as a camera!!
  7. bryandod

bryandod Integrated Visions

This is not entirely true, even the audio kaos pad makes a very nice midi controller that can be used to control any midi app such as module8.
  8. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

Yeah I figured he meant entrancer.
  9. Bokonon

Bokonon SonicSlice

[hijack]Which of the intrinsic FX work with modul8? I can't seem to find any info on this anywhere...[/hijack]
  10. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

yeah
    I asked intrinsic which ones worked and got no reply
  11. mowgli

mowgli collapsing wave functions

I wouldn't get a Kaoss pad just to use it as a midi controller when there are devoted midi controllers with xy pads, knobs, sliders etc that will do a better job at that. If its an Entrancer that we're talking about then that's a different story.
  12. Bokonon

Bokonon SonicSlice

Thats the only thing I can find, you asking which ones work.
  13. Drumzzz

Drumzzz New Member

Thanks Bryan, for the invite. I'm actually in Cumming now & I'm working in Athens everyday. Thanks for the advice also.
  14. Drumzzz

Drumzzz New Member

Alright from what I'm seeing so far is work on the software first then move to triggering devices. I wasn't just getting a Kaoss pad for the Visuals, I wanted that bad boy for my music bug.

No words on a projector.......am I jumping the gun?
  15. dvjprotohippy

dvjprotohippy New Member

Since you live in the states, I think that you best bet is to look online, or for sales at your local compusa/circuit city/best buy/etc. Also, Tiger Direct seems to have some pretty good prices. I certainly wouldn't go for less that 2,000 lumens, 3-4,000 is overkill in a lot of places. Get something with a good contrast ratio as well, (1000:1 is what ours do) Personally, I like Viewsonic Projectors. They are relatively cheap (below $900), throw a great picture, and are very small. We use lighting trees, and dvd holders to hang them, so that we can get them about 12 -15 feet above everyones head, and pointed down at the correct angles. We have found this to be better than hanging them. We used to do that, til one dropped outta the sky. That was a pretty costly mistake!! Anyways, I would at least get A projector, and not rely on what the clubs may have. Best of luck from some others in the Dirty South, Texas.
  16. Drumzzz

Drumzzz New Member

Hey thanks alot for the dirty