1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ripping dvds. software for?

Discussion in 'Software' started by makemassair, Mar 22, 2005.

1. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

hey pc based. want to sample a dvd. what programs are there for it? freeware ideally.

its for a personal project not a broadcast one and i am aware of the sampling law thing. i've read thru some of the posts.

ta.
  2. dlublin

dlublin Member

3. makemassair

4. dlublin

dlublin Member

Well, the first sentence of the 2nd link is "This tool is designed mainly for people who know very little (or nothing) about video conversion and want to create videos for their standalones or PC in a few clicks of a mouse."

It's pretty easy to use. Worth downloading and trying out anyway.

On a related note, here is a link to a super easy piece of Windows software for making back-up copies of regular DVDs onto DVD-R's. Very handy for making back-ups of hard to find & out of print DVDs, no more worrying about ruining a disc and not being able to replace it.
    http://dvdshrink.org/
  5. makemassair

kewl cheers dude. thanks a lot, i'll let u know how it goes.
  6. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

VirtualDubMod, drag and drop the VOB files straight of the DVD, if you get nasty encryption errors rip it first with DVD Decrypter.
  7. makemassair

cool. cheers morph. soz about the delay on the old reply
  8. unjulation

unjulation Moderator

i wish people could use google :confused: then posibly the forums wouldnt become known for advice about "takeing the piss while ripping" - or mayby im just geting old
  9. synoptics

synoptics @&?!%

If the VDub method doesnt work, Smartripper then DVD2AVI will.
  10. dusi

dusi Member

i find womble mpeg wizard a really great program. if you want to sample things from an authored dvd this soft lets you edit it as if it where footage on your HD. after editing it stream-copy's it to a new mpeg file without reencoding.
    bad points is that it doenst "snap" on clips on the timeline. if you want to export the final edit to a mpeg file, press the "record" button. its not so logical interface wise. that took me some time to figure out