1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sampling doesnt always work...

Discussion in 'Finding Content' started by turkish, Sep 24, 2006.

1. turkish

turkish Doin' it in HK. sometimes

Im putting a show together for the opening of a new japanese themed bar next week.

I wanted some gritty grainy b+w images and movies to sample so I thoughtof the Akira Kurosawa movies including 7 samurai, Yojimbo etc.

I've loved watching these films before - but when I got to sample it I just can't seem to find anything high speed enough or even exciting enough to sample....

Is this just me or are there movies out there that You've seen and thought yeah that'll work... but then start working on and find that they just don't?

2. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

3. SilentEclipse

SilentEclipse PH 5.9

Yum worms with baked beans :lol2:

I guess this opens up a conversation as to why certain clips work well as a short loop mixed to music and why certain imagery has a higher impact as long-form narrative production.

Can vjing ever hope to reach the success of films such as 7 samurai in terms of emotional impact, visual immersion and suspension of disbelief?

Without getting too geeky I say that having a little understanding of human psychology, the effect that visual stimuli has on the brain and the ability to press certain cultural buttons (tap into the zeitgeist??) u can hope to achieve the success of a cinematic masterpiece.

I think Yeast VJ's manage to achieve this pretty well, however they come from a film/documentary backgrounds and are less effects based than most vjs. A good example of their work can be found on the Nitin Sawheny visual album 'Prophesy'
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nitin-Sawhney-Prophesy/dp/B00005QTT4

:up:

4. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

Ain't that the truth.