1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should VJs stand while performing?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by holly, Feb 25, 2004.

1. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

Recent topic I brought up at EyeWash: Should VJs stand while performing?

At "real" gigs I usually stand and have my gear on a little keyboard X stand which is a good height for me. I prefer to stand because I feel more active and can dance a little and I don't feel so slumped over a rig. Sometimes of course I'm with a band and they put me up in the lightbooth where usually there is no ceiling height to stand, then of course I sit....

At EyeWash and at most of the local art-vj gigs it is more common to sit at a big folding table piled high with gear like you are at the office. I'm beginning to think this is not so good for the "energy" and the percieved "performance" of the VJ..., but when I brought it up one day "I think we're going to make all VJs stand up while they perform," I got dead-horrified looks like I was totally crazy. Har har har.

It's not like they have to stand for hours (like I do when I'm doing a gig), EyeWash art sets are about 45 minutes to an hour. Is this so crazy? is it more common to sit or to stand?

2. lowRes

lowRes another member

jumping and hopping

don?t know but i can?t vj sat down...
    i need to be in my feet jumping and hoping feeling the groove!!
    for me it doesn?t matter for how long, if i'm really enjoying can be all night!!!:jump:

i think the only time i sat down was doing video for a boring house music dj.. tsum tsat tsum tsat.. *(
    that time i almost felt asleep and i was using arkaos! wich makes me being really active punching keys!

3. Lucidhouse

Lucidhouse :::*:::

I sit all day creating content.

Standing during a gig is a welcome blessing. Definately better for me during performances, dance around, more aware and quicker.

I think sitting during live performances sucks!

4. disassembler

disassembler Mix+Mix+Chop+Chop

Because I like to work the mixer mostly. I have to stand. Just can't twist knobs and reef on the fader bar with such speeds or accuracy while sitting. I like getting involved physically while playing. That's why I like mixers and midi sh@t. I want to feel when I play.

5. monsho

monsho some kinda member

agreed with standing while Vjing - this is a performance, we want to be seen as performers, stand up, have a bit of stage presence.

It does feel a lot more of a performance standing up, we always try to make ourselves seen as well, not hidden away.

....my legs do go dead after about 4 hours mind!

6. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

Rather depends on who you're working with doesn't it? You'd look a right muppet jigging up and down VJing for Roger Eno playing Erik Satie on a grand piano.....

7. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

Well, yes. And "jigging up and down" during the silent parts between the rock songs or during the ambient breaks would be equally as silly..., but that doesn't mean you can't stand on two feet and wobble slightly or just barely shift your weight from time to time.

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure which is worse: looking like a muppet on two legs or looking like a sloth hunchbacked ass-potatoe flat on your butt. I'd go with the muppet.

8. trotskythecat

trotskythecat Momo the Monster

I'd consider myself the 'bouncing muppet' kind of VJ.

Hehe - sometimes I'm bouncing harder than the DJs...guess I'm a dancin' fool :)

9. xiayu

xiayu Subliminal Imaging

i like to shake my booty while i play and i can't very well do that sitting down!

10. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

like all things it depends on the cuicumstances.

siting is not inherently bad - go and watch a band and some of them sit, some stand

i'm tall and if i have a low table then i will hert my back by standing - sitting down is much more comfortable - if there is a high table then standing is good - i have a quite high stool that i use sometimes that is a good comprimise between seated and standing

11. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

oh and if i play anywhere and the tell me i have to stand then i will do the whole set lying down!

12. krezrock

krezrock New Member

depends on the setup.

it is better to stand though. stage presence is a must.

13. fluchtpunkt

fluchtpunkt Moderator

as far as dance(able) music goes i definately prefer standing. i won't stand 6 or more hours straight however, so one of the things i always look to is to get two or more chairs (for company) & a small table (for drinks) behind the vj-booth. i then spend the main hours of the party mostly performing (upright), chilling a bit more during the warm up & in the early morning... with everything still within my reach & under control.

14. apu

apu Jigsaw Crew

stand, jump, dance, get silly, laugh, shout, interact with crowd. all good in my books:jump2: :jump: :jump2:

15. Morninglight

Morninglight New Member

I like to stand but I always have something to sit on around cause some gigs are looooong... just better for he grooving :D

16. illya

illya New Member

YES YES YES!! I LOVE standing up! and the times I DO have to sit due to reasons beyond my control I'm a bit bummed out , shaking my ass in a chair is just not the same. Besides it's also hard for me to strech to reach my camera that way as well ! bleh! to sitting.

I love to stand cuz I can dance and get into the groove (boy you have to prove your love to me.. ) oh sorry that song just poored into this post.

:jump2: :jump:

My day job is editing and I wish I could stand too. but the avid stands are way too expensive for these creeps! :grrr:

17. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

why not just dig a hole in the floor in front of your desk? that way you can stand up in the hole and the desk will be the right height.

18. illya

illya New Member

ahhahaha! um okay. I've been told that I'm short enough to stand at my desk as is. :D ----- I tried din't work.

19. epoch

epoch crack monkey in training

i honestly prefer to stand. i usually like to get into it a bit when i am mixing. plus i have always thought that it gives you a little more presence when performing. but there are times when i take a break and plant my ass in a chair!

20. atomicone

atomicone go guerilla!

I like to stand, I usually try to find high tables, or build them up with gear crates, but having a stool nearby is a must.
    My real saving grace is a small chunk of carpet - you can shake your ass all night and your feet never get sore. I personally can't handle 8hrs standing on concrete.

21. brain

brain New Member

yes, standing ...can you imagine a sitting DJ?
    good shoes are important... and sometimes at an 8 hr. set, a high bar chair comes in handy... rather some kind of support to keep one up!

22. neoteo

neoteo Active Member

yes get up on your feet !

siting makes you look like you are laizee

23. PilotX

PilotX Tom syzygy, not Dan ;)

I usually stand, but by the end of the night my legs are often knackered so I'm sitting.. I don't tend to bounce around too much as I often find myself next to the DJ and am too concerned about skipping the records ;) .. I can nod my head when sat down just as well as when I'm stood..

24. charlielangridge

charlielangridge www.rho-d.co.uk

It really depends on the gig. I wouldnt dance at theatre or corporate event ;) I usually have a seat and dance about when the event starts getting really busy. If you are dancing behind your rig to a club where everybody is at the bar / not may peeps have arrived, you do tend to look a little silly.

25. akira_k

akira_k 8GB EUTour 2010 - book us

I hate it when I see VJs and musicians sitting and doing their thing. Specially some electronic "musicians" who sit with their laptops in a comfy couch and play. That transmits ZERO energy to the crowd and I feel like throwing a rock to them :D. It bores me stiff, as part of the audience. If the music is of high energy seeing teh sod sitting puts me down, and if the music is some chillout downtempo thing, it bores me to death.

Personally I stand, I can't sit down. It does kill my legs, I've been standing thorugh most of the latest Creamfields, which is 16 hours long, so I ended up knackered, but I saved my energy enough for the main acts so I could ponce around like a madman. I guess I am also the jumping muppet type of VJ :D

So to me it is standing. I cannot depict any sort of energy, or transmit it to the crowd or my gear if I am sitting. I might have to try it out though, in some chill-out space.Probably it DOES work for that kind of setup.

26. twiki

twiki New Member

I like to stand when giging.
    when doing editing and things like that I like to kneel on the floor or stand, i fined kneeling a lot nicer way to work then siting.:nod:

27. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Standup, standup, standup and DANCE!!!

I think its pretty overwhelming this if a forum for muppet dancing VJs :p

28. unjulation

unjulation Moderator

try standing for six to eight hours, its alright for you who do dj timed sets of a couple of hours

29. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Ummmmm yes I do regularly, the key is DONT stand still... move yo ass, oh and drink plenty of fluids ;) and dont for get to take the occational break too :)

30. wellREDman

wellREDman Saitek Warrior

well up until now ive always felt that standing is the way to go,

dancing as you mix and all that

but since ive got my V4 tbars hooked up to the expression pedals on my midi pedalboard im re thinking

it was ok when just triggereing fx with footswitches, but riding a pedal allnight (the first night i tried it i got the most intensely painful cramp in my right calf at the end of the night!!) is another matter entirely

but ive been told you can get pukka drumstools that keep you supported, yet let you sit in an almost upright position, so im gonna see if i can check them out