1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sketchy J "world" premiere Agenda Suicide

Discussion in 'Inspiration' started by sketchyj, Mar 5, 2006.

1. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

autographed 8x10" glossy head shots of Sketchy J are available now at a VJ discount rate 10% off:
    $49.95 standard photo
    $249.95 autographed with a certificate of proof that you are certifiable.
    This is another sneak preview of an unfinished video that I will regret posting early as soon as the rest is finished. Full credentials and resume also available for use as a template free of charge at http://www.myspace.com/sketchyj
    streamload is a load of bullshit so please visit my myspace page from now on...
    please no friend add requests unless you are on the top 20
  2. karl

karl Sex, Drugs and Videogames

nice myspace sketchy! i loved the "sketchy sells me meth" banner, very nice!

on another notice, don't use myspace, get worldpress or pivotlog up running for you.
  3. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

i don't think the kids are flocking there, I need to really build my core audience of disillusioned 13-16 yo satanic goth internet geeks and marketing tells me the numbers favor myspace overwhelmingly for our target demographic. Also, I can put really kick ass animated gifs and irritatingly loud music on my page that starts up when you navigate there.
  4. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

screenshot

[​IMG]

this week I learned new terms necessary to relate to modern youth effectively, namely, getting "whored to 65K" or "will whore and comment"
    Still undecided as to whether or not to get whored, whore, either or both. All the cooler kids are either eagerly getting whored or offering to whore someone else to whatever number, usually something in the 5 digit range. I only have 71 friends, and my offer to whore anyone's mother to my 71 friends in exchange for money was not readily accepted. Still researching the phenomenon and gathering data.
  5. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

6. karl

you know your absolutely right, i never thought about the 13-16 satanic goth crowd, the reason i dizzed myspace is that it F**KS up in all browsers except M$ Explorer. My target audience, the suicidal burned out itworker, takes pride in the browser wars since they got no real life on their own ...
  7. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

J thats some pretty good shit. All that your content?
  8. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

why yes asterix, everything but the marvel comic rip of bizarro that i animated and the shot of the black dick i took off of google at the end
  9. jimmyogenic

jimmyogenic I've given money to VJForums

so what exactly are your issues sketchyj?

your suuuch a rebel

;)

i understand that you like your little comedy mask, but what are you hiding under the mask that your afraid of showing "your" adoring public....

i'd get a myspace account, but i only want top 3 people to be my friends so i'l not bother..

tbh if i saw your visuals in a club i'b probably close my eyes and get lost in the music instead of having to watch your stuff..

this is not an attempt at staring a flame war.. just balancing out the "thats really cool shit maan" with some different angled comments (although that depends on how you interpret them..)

jim
  10. karl

its called art you idiot, The Phantom of The Opera did it, KISS did it and Amadeus Mozart did it, some even say we all carry masks
  11. jimmyogenic

ah sorry, i stand completely corrected...

its all alright then!

although does that make it any good, because i've seen stuff thats been dresssed up as art when its really just a disguise to cover up the lack of depth..
  12. karl

it's all in the eye of the beholder, Mona Lisa is either a masterpiece or a girl with ugly teeth, some say that Mona Lisa was really Leonardo in drag/with mask.

art is not supposed to have depth or quality, pop art envisioned by creeps like Warhol and Coon have neither. art is not about what you like or not, its about what the artis likes
  13. jimmyogenic

surely art IS meant to have depth AND quality.. how else do you pick between a 5 yr olds work and a master?

i understand your point about warhol etc, but surely it does have depth and quality in the fact that it sums up a time, and the fact that its "pop" or "disposable" art gives it a quality.

artists don't study for years so they can churn out superficial crap....

or do they ;)
  14. karl

Jackson Pollock was a drunk and people blamed him for drawing like a 5 year old, still I for one loves his "works", and I'm not entirely alone

bah warho, was into getting high, getting laid and getting paid, like everybody else

some say that you can't even study art without ending up churning out superficial crap, some say that there is no such thing as true invention only mutations of existing themes
  15. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

Word"

Taken from the "How do you measure reputation" thread:

"On the subject of reviews, I find this forum errs too far towards sycophancy when it comes to constructive criticism and critical analysis. Most work that is posted ends up with a few ?awesome dude? type responses. This, when you consider how many members there are here with long, professional experience in impartial assessment and critical analysis, is a shame. It is for this reason that I very rarely make comments about work posted here ? it seems to go against the culture here, and frequently ends up in a slanging match, driven by over-sensitivity. Again, a real shame. Personally, I regard the ability (even desire) to receive critical comments, as an essential part of being a ?true artist? (Forgive the term, I know it?ll rankle a few folks, just telling it as I see it) as any artist worth their salt will be constantly striving for more and positively seeks comments from outside their loop."

And here we have a perfect example. as soon as anybody has the temerity to utter any sort of criticism, they get jumped on. I kow you'd all love to believe that everything is in the eye of the beholder, but this simply ain't so, there are objective factors involved too. Another thing some folks around here would do well to consider, is to do with visual experience. There are members on this forum who have been around the block a few times, seen a lot of work, performed in many different venues, and worked, in a wide range of professional environments. You won't find many of these members coming out with asinine comments such as "awesome dude" very often. The chances are that they've seen / heard it all before, and therefore have a more discerning point of view, based upon real experience. You cannot buy this experience for any money, nor can you download it from the car boot sale that is the internet. But you can learn much from others who do have it. So if somebody is critical about your work, rather than chucking your rattles out of the pram, listen to what is said, think about it, think about why it was said, and consider taking it on board. If, after this, you disagree, then open up an intelligent dialogue with the critic, and maybe, just maybe, you might learn something about your work. As anybody who has studied art / film history will tell you, art is, and always has been, an inexorable chain, each generation feeding off the previous one, and creating new concepts and perceptions, which feed the next one. All artists remain "students" for their entire lives, and as such, should always crave critical review of their work, and If they can't take it, then they will learn nothing and never develop their full potential. So, SketchVJ, if you want, I'd love to be able to proffer my particular experiences and criticisms on this forum. But until this immature and blinkered attitude changes, I'll keep shtum.
  16. karl

I simply disagree here, and completey. Van Gogh was ridiculed for his impressionism because he was ahead of time, he cut his ear of. Leonardo was hunted by the church, because he was a head of times. Allan Turing was convicted for homosexuality and commited suicide because he was ahead of his times.

not all artist do things to be accepted by norms or communities, aritst are very often hated and in confrontation by their fellow aritsts, who also doesn't know shit and comes with asswipe comments as their contribution a discussion.
  17. jimmyogenic

so your saying that sketchyj's work is ahead of its time.... not really the case though is it?

and i dunno who the gt yarmouth poster is, so i can't account for their actions, however if we're going to be petty about words, then you called me an idiot in your first response to my post... does that mean you don't know shit as well..

i don't know much about the history of art etc so you could batter me down all day on that one coz i don't have any depth of knowledge.. hence this discussion to see if i can improve my knowledge and come to an opinion..
  18. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

So you're suggesting that sketchyvj is ahead of his time eh?
    You must have led a sheltered life.
    I agree with your points about being ahead of their time, but this does not contradict my point, simply tells me you don't understand what I've said. Subjectivity and objectivity both play a part in this. Maybe you ought to look them up in a dictionary!
  19. karl

yes I live a sheltered life, I live mostly in books, and I have my unfinished art-dregree that led me nowhere but into even more interesting books.

But back to Sketchy J as an artis: time will show, its far to yearly to say, lets kept this thread alive for a 100 year perhaps, and then the jury might be back from lunch, and you know that Sketchy J has done his homework, the agenda is suicide, kurt korbain knew it
  20. karl

yes I know, I was just kinda respondig to the negativity in your post, Sketchy is a struggling "artist" why heckle him?
  21. karl

really, I love a good argument about art, so i think its cool that we engange because i tought you just posted shit about sketchy and was outta here
  22. jimmyogenic

an unfinished art degree.. well that means you must have had at least 6years more art training than me (actually i have none!) go outside, see the world! there's art in everything that you look at, look for your own art instead of other peoples work in books...

ah, there speaks the mind of teenage angst ;) the agenda is only suicide if you make the agenda suicide...

and i'll bet my life savings(what i have of them!) that although sketchyj is trying to do his thing, he won't be remembered (the same as nearly all of us) as a pioneer or an artist of any description...
  23. karl

got own only 4 and a half, but the point is that i've found interesting things in books, like i saw this painting of a polish painter called Rabuzin and i loved his work, very childish stuff with a lot of geometric figures. I talked to a friend of mine and he sain "forget Rabuzin he know's only that one style and repeats it".

Later at the library i came over a book about Rabuzin and an interview, and in that interview the art corespondent asks the artist why he repeats his patterns all the time, and Rabuzin answers that the patterns is his meditation

Then he tells about his life, and man this guy got plenty of other things than art communities to think about, so yeah he needs meditation

What when the artists refuses to "art" for anybody else than her/him self?
  24. jimmyogenic

"heckling" as you put it should in theory either destroy someone or make them stronger...

if your destroyed (which i know sketchyj won't be because he has self belief in what he's doing) then should you really be putting your work in whatever description that may be out into the public domain...
    (seperating the wheat from the chaff)

however if no one questioned my work then i'd worry that it was either perfect (which it certainly isn't) or no one actually cared... i crave critism of my work so i can improve... i don;t actually want anyone saying that my work is good and leaving it at that because i don't gain knowledge in what to do next to step up my game...

and we're all struggling artists ;)
  25. karl

I'm not, I'm a corporate whore and a software prostitute :)
  26. karl

but in my opinion the only problem with teenage angst, or any angst is that people say "its only teenage, or any angst"
  27. jimmyogenic

he he, well i'm a coffee consultant :)
  28. karl

a interesting bet indeed, with the power of millions of myspace.com teenage computer junkies, goth or not, could be the thumb on the scale, I' must say that Sketchys homepage is the junkiest shit i have seen in a long time, if he can keep up the "janson sells me meth" image without going to jail or rehab i say i might be interested in such an wager
  29. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

Well, here's reason one:
    autographed 8x10" glossy head shots of Sketchy J are available now at a VJ discount rate 10% off:
    $49.95 standard photo
    $249.95 autographed with a certificate of proof that you are certifiable.

And reason two:
    I am a robot with a christ complex. My programming pleases the eyes of the dancing humans. Soon, i will control their minds with my content and create an army of followers who will pay for my constant upgrades which are necessary for the exponential growth required to achieve my goals

We have a publication here in the UK called "Private Eye" - a satirical magazine that lampoons the ridiculous. Every week, there is a column called "Pseud's Corner" which features quotes such as the ones above. In my experience, folks who say these kinds of things very rarely mean them, in fact, they usually mean the exact opposite. And they certainly don't manifest themselves in his work at all, which is, in my opinion, at best "generic" and totally driven by technology/software rather than visual ideas. There is no evidence of visual dynamics present, and composition (including form, colour and spatial) seems to have been sidestepped in favour of the quick fix of "throwing all the paint at the canvas". Whilst he does demonstrate a fairly competent use of software, which does take time and practise, that in itself is simply not enough. The work is riddled with visual cliches, which isn't a sin in itself, (a well placed cliche can have real effect) but there's simply too many. I've no doubt that his audience love his work, but ground breaking or thought provoking it ain't. Well, not from my perspective anyway, I was assessing work like that 20 years ago, sure, the brush strokes were different, but the content and ideas were exactly the same.
    The only picture we have of Sketchyvj, or any other member, is from what they post here. I've never met the guy, and am not setting out to critisize him personally (well, except the "pseud's corner" bit, but hey!). My latter comments are regarding his work, and are intended as constructive. Harsh? Yes, but if they make him stop and think for a moment about where he is actually going with his work, then they will have not been in vain.
  30. karl

well, i've never seen his gig, but i thought that was funny

i'm a geek soo i tought that was funny too...

:gag: ?!?