1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

software that copes with 10 min loops?

Discussion in 'Software' started by wellREDman, Apr 1, 2005.

1. wellREDman

wellREDman Saitek Warrior

im gonna be touring with a band who plan to change their set list each night,

normall i work with 2 layers of stuff from dvd which i use as a bed to overlay clips/livecamFX,

so i have 2 dvds each with a video sequence slightly longer than each song that i progress though in order

now if theres a different order each nght, im not gonna have enuff time between songs to change clip and fx patches , AND fuck about with menus finding the right bloody song, twice

so im thinking of swapping the dvd decks for another puter
    is there vj soft out there that wont choke on 5-10 minute loops?

I'd only need it to do mix/key 2 layers,
    no fx or anything fancy

2. murk

murk Bringer of Blight

From my experience, most softs that use QT should not have a problem with clips that long using DV (just won't scratch and seek well)

visualJockey's AVI loaders have a 2 GB max file size (AVI 1.0 spec), this is about 10 minutes worth of DV footage (need to use 3rd party DV codec such as MainConcept's). But vJo's AVI loaders are very high performance, so scratching and seeking should still be decent.

In vJo I would just setup a show with as many compos as songs, and setup keys or MIDI keys to jump directly to the different song compos.

Though the QT controller for vJo is not publicly available yet, it too handles files of 5-10 minutes (again, poor scratching and seeking at that size).

MJPEG AVIs at 640x480 (80%-90% quality) might be the best format because they will work with Windows AVI API and QT.

3. disassembler

disassembler Mix+Mix+Chop+Chop

Sony Vegas Video. Bling! Bling!

4. murk

murk Bringer of Blight

Oh yeah, I always forget about how much the bomb Vegas is.

5. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

percepton pvr(!)

:jump:

6. wellREDman

wellREDman Saitek Warrior

ha ha ha as
    that old lady is retired from roadwork
    plus its only one layer,

does vegas let you mix layers?

murk will vjo in avi mode cope with full PAL?

7. many2

many2 Active Member

vJo will cope easily with full PAL

8. Meierhans

Meierhans Spezialmusik

Speedwise this ain`t a problem at all an a actual machine. You could even playback DV directly captured from your DV camera or out of your NLE.
    DV uses 25 Mbit/s = 3,125 Mbyte /s = 1,875 GB per 10 min

The output resolution on most newer grapics card can be set to 720*576 or 768*576, some of them need a special INF file to make it accessable (take a look at www.tvtool.com if you run NVIDIA).
    Please note that TV-Out quality differs from card to card alot, some of them come close to PAL conform 5 Mhz, others are stuck at 2.5 MHz. If you buy a new one take a very close look on this.

On the other hand:
    A very good quality Picvideo MPJEG file in DV-Pal resolution (Compression-Quality 19 of 20, 4:2:2 color sampling) takes around 2,9 Mbyte/s, and decodes much faster than DV.
    Recompression runs with 25 FPS on my P 1.8.
    If you want to add parts with live cam as background and prerendered stuff as foreground its even enough to key.

9. many2

many2 Active Member

if you go for vJo remember that natively it works with square pixels (720x576 not 768x576)

10. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

wrong numbers - square pixel pal is 768x576 - D1 pal is 720x576

-----------------------------------

i'd put VJO on your newer shuttle and run both your live cam effects and the background clips from one machine.

you can then do the VJamm thing over the top mixing on one V4.

you could use the other v4 as a midi controller to control the mixing stage of your visualjockey comps (mixing between the live feed and the background clips)

11. many2

many2 Active Member

sorry about the wrong numbers - I am not very familiar with PAL resolutions.