1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Solid" audio looping with Arkaos

Discussion in 'Software' started by tcdevita, Feb 25, 2005.

1. tcdevita

tcdevita New Member

I would like to use Qtime files with audio with Arkaos in the way you would a audio sampler/trigger.

What I mean is I would like to trigger a latched loop and then play along with it with other instruments and other Arkaos files with audio.

The problem is that when I play back a latched file it seems anything but "solid" musically. I think the term to describe this is "latency"? The file will hestitate, play in a reasonable tempo for a bit and then drop out of sync then back in... It certainly doesn't seem like anything you could play to. It sucks because I really want to do loop based music and also use Arkaos and I don't want to have a whole seperate rig for the looping music. If I could just get Arkaos to play a loop back solidly I would be all set.

So, is what I'm talking about doable with Arkaos or am I looking at a different rig for solid audio looping? Any info is greatly appreciated. I'm so glad this site exists.

2. tcdevita

tcdevita New Member

Does audio compression help Arkaos performance?

I havent' been compressing the audio of my clips, because I want them to sound good. But could this be screwing up Arkaos Performance?

If so what kind of compression?

3. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

in short arkaos' audio performance is shockingly bad - it is of no use at all to the serious av performer.

if your on the PC try VJamm its much better for AV

4. murk

murk Bringer of Blight

Arkaos will never loop crisply. The best solution would be to trigger the clips via a MIDI sequencer. If you are needing beat oriented/musical loops just make sure the MIDI BPM exactly matches the BPM of the A/V loops.

Acid and Vegas also play back A/V loops crisply and seemlessly (Firewire out). You can set regions using 'R' and jump to those loop regions using the number keys.

Also, VJamm plays clips seemlessly and even synchronizes all your clips.

5. akira_k

akira_k 8GB EUTour 2010 - book us

I can report that even using MIDI triggering/sequencing, Arkaos won't loop properly and will always be 2 or 3 steps behind in the sequence. DO NOT use Arkaos for A/V performance, it's absolute pants. I tried it ONCE sequencing out of an Electribe and it worked like pants, and I'm talking about running it in a Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz with 1GB of RAm, so my computer was surely no to blame.

6. tcdevita

tcdevita New Member

I was afraid that was the answer...

Thanks for the responses though they aren't what I was hoping. At least I know the deal now.

So Arkaos is strictly for visuals eh?

I love my MAC but I'm starting to bum out that I don't have a PC for VJamm or GigaStudio.

What's a poor MAC guy to do? Looks like to do what I want to do I'm going to either have to get a PC or some kind external sampler/trigger device for the audio portion of what I want to do. Then use Arkaos solely for visuals...

Suggestions?

The Arkaos folks aware of this vital failing?

7. akira_k

akira_k 8GB EUTour 2010 - book us

Re: I was afraid that was the answer...

The "poor" Mac guy gets modul8, one of the best VJ tools out there. Audio works fine with it, though not as tight as VJamm, but quite decent, to the point of "being useable"

http://ww.garagecube.com/modul8