1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sponsorship

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by REBELOVERLAY, Apr 9, 2007.

1. REBELOVERLAY

REBELOVERLAY New Member

I had a thought... This may be selling out a bit but what would the possibility of sponsorship be? say if i signed a contract which said i occasionally drop the pioneer logo in my set from time to time would i get discounts on products or a free dvjx1.

Surely there has to be something like this, not all VJ's come from well built backgrounds or change career paths from accountants to visualists for a laugh. Ive maxed out every bit of cash to my name on the very little equipment i own and i earn jack diddly doing live sets at the moment.

Especially for companies like pioneer, the nightclub environment is partly a potential market for companies like these, does anyone have any info or adivice on this matter? would be greatly appreciated
  2. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

My motto is "you dont get if you dont ask" You have to have something to offer in return in most cases with companies willing to sponsor or assist you. I think you'll find this difficult until you start getting the gigs....like I say above tho;)

One point....a promoter or club will not see you droping the logos as accidental too often. Remember too that the company wouldn't be paying the promoter or club for this. I recommend before trying anything like this you clear it with the promoter employing you or the club/event, you can even work it into your contract if you have one. To do this "accidentally" wouldn't be good for the brand involved or look very professional.
  3. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

We get sponsorship from Smirnoff to run and promote the event.
    That way you keep the pub owners happy too :)
  4. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

interesting idea about event sponsorship.. although, you gotta be running the event or be involved with management to swing that one
  5. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

Ok, ok.... ask VJ Rei about this topic...

:nod:

In Venezuela ALL the events are sponsored, I mean, half of my content is based on the sponsor logo. Companies like Smirnoff spend all their money in all kind of events just because in Venezuela is prohibited to advertise alcohol or tabaco on TV and radio.

So... you can go to a particular sponsor, but you have to go to them with a plan.

In my case, all the production companies here in Caracas hire the Vjs and DJs for the events and they give me the sponsor logo for me to animate it.

The problem is that the production companies charges 200 times what I charge to them and they do not want me to show my best, if I am too good the sp[onsor will ask for me and I will be more expensive, so the production companies will look for another local VJ to just do the logo thing. If this VJ becomes too "pro" they will drop him and get a new one.

What I am doing right now is going to the sponsor with my business plan to them. Showing them what I can do with their logos, and not only that. Sponsors usually have some sort of campaign going on and their advertising agencies has all that material.

The plan is: I (the VJ) have the experience (technical and graphical) to manage your logo and work the elements of your campaign as well. That way you have already a "theme". And what ever event you have I can go with my equipment to represent your brand.

That is what I am doing specially with Diageo (Smirnoff, wine and spirits) to be above the production companies, just because production companies care little about the sponsor regarding video content.

Now, if you want to get sponsored by Pioneer, do not ask for equipment. Go with a plan. I would offer them DVDs for their DVJ line. and do workshops or things like that. Charge your money and they will give you the DVJs for sure.

But you cann not go as a silly VJ, you need to have your equipment, you need to be realiable, you need a demo with a trayectory and a realistic plan.

In my case I can do that, I have the trayectory and the expertice and I got to a point where most production companies are just in my way and are not pleasing the sponsor, the old school is going down.

That is the little battle I am having right now.

Just take a look on how your market moves, what the sponsor actually need and work around that. Each city has a different way to do things. In Miami what I do just wouldn't work, demographisc are differents, brands works differently. That is why I am here in Venezuela despite Chavez and all that, resources can flow if you jump just infront of them.
  6. AdamJay

AdamJay problem solver

we do promos for Toyota Scion, Stoli, Jaeger, AT&T, and others.

there are lots of ways to get paid. Scion said we were the #1 club in the country to hold Scion promotional events at.. and now we're about to do a second large string of events with them.

as SteveG said, you don't get if you don't ask...
  7. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

by saying 'charge your money', do you mean that perhaps it is better to approach Pioneer not for sponsorship, but actually to sell/license your services (workshops) and goods (DVD's) to them.. for money, and then on the side, 'by the way i will be needing a DVJ thanks. make that two' ?
    i have thought about sponsorship, but i dont think it happens much here in australia.
  8. john01

john01 5 quids worth of italics

I think people go to clubs to get away from advertising.

Sponsors should be restrained, a logo on the flyer is enough, the only time they should engage in branding is if they have financed the entire event, from hiring the venue to paying the VJ. Minor brands, record labels, skateboard makers, apparel etc are not as offensive but major companies should be kept off the screens at all costs. They generally come across as pretty lame anyway. There is too much advertising media already, all it does is cancel itself out into one mass of meaningless noise.

If you want to use your VJing to make money exploit the kudos it gives you and sell your soul elsewhere, but leave us one last refuge where we can socialize and exhibit our work without "this party is brought to you by the following sponsors ...."
  9. REBELOVERLAY

REBELOVERLAY New Member

to follow up my question, how the hell can you afford good equipment to enhance performance? coming from a film and media background i produce my own content, and i know thats key in gigs and 90% of stuff i throw into the mix is created myself (sort of). im just wondering how someone can afford essential equipment working on such content 24/7 without regular jobs and high paid gigs. do i have to wait till the vj income increases? surely other vj's after 5 years cant cover equipment and life expenses from the little amount a gig pays even after that long in the field.

if sponsorship was possible i would drop a pioneer logo in the set and i wouldnt be ashamed of it. not at all. i spend weeks on gigs, making personal idents for djs and get very little credit, low pay and my name in tiny small print on the bottom of the flyer. unless things change im gonna be rinsing my imac, arkaos and oxygen 8 forever. i just have ideas, and no money to pull em off sometimes..

had a few beers, a little messed up in my type. hope some of it makes sense.
  10. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

I think people go to clubs to get away from advertising.
    no you're thinking of doof parties :) . Clubs are littered with advertising - from Bar Runners, sponsored glasses, TV promo screens, sponsored nights etc etc etc.
    VJ's aren't being payed enough yet (this is a generalisation) and they need every opportunity to value add. Sponsorship is harmless enough especially if handled tastefully.
  11. REBELOVERLAY

REBELOVERLAY New Member

i remember a film theory tutor of mine who worked with pioneer on the development of the dvjx1. Dr Charles Kriel.
  12. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

Most companies that want their products/brands advertised have a get something back.

So they will need to know what exposure you will give them. This involves telling them the nights you have have big enough exposure.

I would imagine that only the ones with most exposure/big events will be sponsored. There are a few VJ that are sponsored to some degree by Pioneer although I don't think any of them display a logo in the sets.

Sorry to sound negative but it is really a chicken and egg situation. Sponsors are generally interested in established names so they can get something out of it. Sponsorship is rarely as straight forward as you think it will be. By all means go for it but have a decent pitch ready beforehand and don't expect too much. One of the biggest problems is getting the contacts in the companies, as you know Charles it my be less of a problem to you.

But the biggest question I must raise about this is why do you think you need more kit? Kit whores don't make better VJs despite what you think. They may reassure/con some promoters that yours is a better show but really to do a good show it is not needed.

What features of the DVJ do you need? Most of the time a normal DVD player will probably do unless you are really wanting to scratch your clips.

It sounds like you have a desire for more kit without know why you want it. Make the most of what you have got.
  13. john01

Fair point, but a glass is functional and usually comes with a beverage in it, this is the line between marketing and advertising.

I really think advertising needs to regulate itself a bit, products should stand on their own merits.

I am very resistant to logos other than the record label of the DJ because they are not relevant to the paying customer. Clubs are places for social interaction, just everything has a price tag on it these days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDW_Hj2K0wo
  14. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

what this translates to in real world terms, is that the only ones who can afford to buy expensive kit, get it given to them by the manufacturers.
  15. SteveG

People shouldn't forget there's a difference between "support" and "sponsorship" ;)
  16. REBELOVERLAY

REBELOVERLAY New Member

Id love a dvj for the control and a v4 cause i love my camera feeds. that would be nice, and very relevant. I use my stuff to the max, i have to. i dnt want to be one of those people who jockey all this equipment to impress, im naming very essential and expensive hardware which im sure you personally own yourself????

seeing as i have got some peoples attention, i do have one major problem someone might be able to help me with.

Arkaos has some major latency. dnt know if its more ram i need but im having to drop the colour depth massively in 640 480 clips or either use 320 240 just so they load faster, but even then the quickest clips, flash text still dont respond as they should. it is very minor latency sometimes but when you add that with the screen being miles away it looks so out of tempo from where im standing. anyone get near perfect results with arkaos??
  17. vjrei

You got a critical point because you:
    1. Are offering a service and become a "service provider".
    2. Wants to be sponsored as a talent.

I though of that myself and you can fall into both. I presume that the only difference is that if they sponsor you as a talent you are tax deductible.

I my case I am going to enter as both but will end up as a service provider even I am a talent.

Then, going back to your content, consider something. If you are going to promote Pioneer DVJs for example, your audience are the DJs and clubs are filled with many people that just do not care about a DVJ. So you will be offering a "non realistic sservice" and the sponsor may drop you because you will have to talk to their Advertising Manager person and they well know what their target audience is.

In case of cigarretes or alcohol, anybody drinks and smoke and visuals can be a more atractive way to advertise their product.

Juts tell them this: eveerybody advoid boards, they are not effective any more, is like driving when your brain just do not retain the images it sees every time. Now, the VJs can make that logo of yours more attractive by making it more dynamic adding effects in real time.

People in advertising are looking for that and there is where the money is.

Then you can have all the DVJs you want. Think bigger and go for it.
  18. SteveG

This will depend on your machines capability. You should be able to use 640x480 with no problems as long as your machine is capable, opimise all your clips for the best performance and also your machine by closing unnecessary background programmes. Arkaos loads clips into RAM so obviously this would help.
  19. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

I agree the V4 is the closest you get to a "essential" piece of VJ kit or I would say more accurately a vision mixer of anytype. To mix your 2 or more sources (if you even use 2) even just for a backup.

A DVJ is far from essential though. There will be very, very few VJs that will class it as essential kit. Possibly only those doing solely a DVJ sets, like Charles Kriel, will class it as essential. Essential implies that most VJs own one and I am telling you most VJs don't own a DVJ. Most haven't even used one.

For the record I own neither a DVJ or V4 or any vision mixer for that matter. A V4 might come in handy on occasion but I cannot ever see the need for me using a DVJ or any DVD player.

That's capitalism for you.........
  20. videoswitchboard

videoswitchboard Pointless Crew-Glasgow

I second Rova's post.

never use a DVJ or a video mixer.

and Arkaos works perfectly fine for me on an old battered powerbook.

:D
    dav
  21. vjrei

I have my DVJ-1000 and I can live without it perfectly. I use it from time to time for special things that request the DVJ, is an exotic tool.

I mean, the DVJ has this special aura but thats basically it.

I saw at the Ultra Music festival tons of DVJ-X1 but no one used it, no one played a single video with them. There was not a single video line going from the DJ booth to the VJs. But what? throw some other componentes there and here, make it video playable and charge $1000 more for it.

I like mine but it won't save my life. There are people with DVJs around here as well but none of them use it for what catually was made of. To be able to use it you will need video monitoring and a video mixer... that is just way too much work and thinking for a club.

The DVJ is a tool needed but still way advance for the masses. It is a good help for corporate events. I just would like to have one with all the actual functions of a regular DVD player, like looping chapters and remote control, that would be so way too helpful.
  22. dvjprotohippy

dvjprotohippy New Member

No Doubt!! I know that getting shows that are sponsored by bigger names are not always that easy to come by, as they want someone with a big name like theirs. It has taken us some time, but we are building a name, and having these companies contact us. Feel free to contact them first, but only if you have something to offer them.

Definitely make the most of what you have got, and don't depend on your gigs to pay your bills, at least, not at first. I have to say that we have been doing this for about 4 years now, and are finally getting to a point through steadily getting gigs, that we could start thinking about quitting day jobs, but not for another year at least. If you want equipment, don't spend it on beer or other things, sock it away until you can get what you want. We use our day jobs to supplement what we get at shows to be able to buy equipment. We have done shows ranging from free to several thousand dollars. Generally we do the underground parties for much less than we do the club and sponsored events. That way we can build a name among the underground, and make a decent living in the real world. I know that I started with 2 portable dvd players, my desktop computer, and a radio shack rf switcher, and that's it. I wowed crowds with content that I made for weeks before the parties, and just did my best with what I had (Motion Dive and Visual Jockey at the time) I would prerender things from VJO to burn on DVD and then use Motion Dive for titling and some effects. Eventually we built up some more stuff, but it's always the content that matters most.
  23. USE

USE Primal Visions

the other issue is whether it is ethical to advertise to people who are meant to be escaping the mundanity of everyday life? i mean i know its normal for lots of companies, but that doesnt make it right. i know that personally when im at a festival and the bar is sponsored by whoever and nokia have got their own tent, i feel that the event is cheapened and commodified.

when you play korg or sony's logo in your sets, you are reminding people they are predominantly defined as consumers, which is a sobering thought. Plus you are using time in which you could be creatively expressing yourself and doing your job and filling that time with adverts. even if you enjoy manipulating the logo or whatever, the choice to use it is motivated by money rather than a desire to produce the best show you can.

maybe some people here dont have any problem with the constant intrusion of adverts in their lives, or have perfectly honed filtering systems in theri head so it doent affect them, but personally i think adverts are detrimental to my quality of life.

that said i have extensively promoted clubnights, online and in flyer and poster form, which is a form of advertising, but i always have creative control, the product im selling is my creativity so i look at the flyers as little artworks, but the line tween art and advert is blurry.
  24. john01

25. videoswitchboard

videoswitchboard Pointless Crew-Glasgow

Well put together USE,

i'd like to add that DJs and musicians are not expected to big up anyone or play jingles during their sets- if you want to be treated like an artist, act like one.

:lurker2:
    dav
  26. RapideyeVJ

RapideyeVJ New Member

Shy bairns get nowt, just make sure you say 'please' and 'thank you'.
  27. john01

Maybe you shouldn't have said that, you might give people ideas.
  28. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

if you need a job to support ur vj kit, so be it. go forth and earn, purchase, and post pics. there is so much money in the world and a million ways to make it. :)

a little logo overlaid in the corner of screen, of a record company, clothing label, or hardware ppl would b ok by me, not much else tho.

gotta say this is so true. not wishing to make a 'me too' post, but hey Rovastar got it so right, i have to say right on!

actually imho promoters couldnt care less about equipment. they might pay for the hire of your projector.. and your mixer if it is a nice one and you negotiate well.
  29. SteveG

One of the major attributes the DVJ has for me and, I'm sure assisted me in getting work when I started, was the fact that instantly clubbers and audiences understood exactly what I was doing due to the identicle layout to the CDJ. Until that point standing with only Laptops I was more often than not thought of as the light tech.

Rovaster will also back me here when on Sunday he visited my gig and performed a short spell one of the first things he started doing was manipulating a DVD in the DVJ via the platter, it quite often makes the content look totally new when doing this and excitting by slowing or speeding up via the platter. I admit it's by no means a vital addition to any VJ's rig....but if your doing what you do for enjoyment then a DVJ adds to it;)
  30. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

Yeah there are many ways and most (all) of us started out not being able to afford stuff and just VJing in general doesn't even pay the bills. Most have other jobs to supplement them. I imagine DJs (and just about every other profession you are trying to break into) are in exactly the same boat they just don't make it professional overnight it takes time and you need another job for ages as well.

Whoever told you you could have a decent living wage straight away is wrong. Many will struggle and do it for the love of it.

Larger custom production you can make money but it takes time to get there. It doesn't happen overnight.

I think that having DVJs (and lots of new kit in general) can help you justify with promoters even just for saying "I have x thousand worth of kit here so therefore I am charging more." to a small degree. Never to get the investment back though.

The VJ can do some decent stuff with the DVJ. Scratching and stuff adds a little extra to the sets and is enjoyable and a decent physical medium to work with. But to be honest many could not justify the cost. I think they are still a lot for most VJs.