1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Standard' Screen size @ raves

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DocSavage, Apr 17, 2002.

1. DocSavage

DocSavage New Member

I'm curious as to the average size of a projection screen at larger raves. I'm about to make a foray into a different city with some mad huge raves, and am wondering how large a screen I should go for.

Ryan
  2. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

12'x9' is fairly standard. :)
  3. LEVLHED

LEVLHED gear whoreder

go big or go home

We've got a 15' X 20' monster that we use where space permits.
    Typically running off one side of the stage, either starting in front of a stack or off the end of a speaker stack. Screen runs up fom the floor of course. Coming out a bit of an angle. One advantage of this setup is it creates a kind of backstage area. You know, for DJ's girlfriends and the promoters nerdy buddies.
    The other way we've used it, is in a longer, narrow, hall type space. We'll stick it out in the middle of the room, dividing the room into two. Leave sufficient space at one end for the flow. This is a very stunning setup, viewable from both sides of the room (and the DJ's can see it). Watch what happens when they see their shadow on the screen. Count the bunny ears, and the duck, and the dog....
    Thats a huge screen though. And its at the edge as far as what our 1300 lumens can do well. But boy, its an eye-catcher.
    We also have a 7.5' X 10' that sees about the same amount of use.
  4. Awax

Awax New Member

It depends on your projector :

1000 lumens : 3mx2m
    1500 lumens : 4mx3m
    2000 lumens : 8mx6m

(1 m = 3 ft)
  5. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

3' actually = 90cm
    1m = 3' 4"
    :D
  6. warpTV

warpTV warpaholic

screens

it really depends on your venue - some venues dont have rear pro space etc
    try to keep it fresh when possible - generic 12"x9 " screens bore me after a couple of gigs in a row - now we hardly use them but when we do its a pleasure as we rarely use them

here are some shots of a different sceen (3x 12"x9") with a matt over them for branding purposes.
    Note - I wasnt VJing at this event due to conflicting gigs but I helped with the matt....
  7. warpTV

warpTV warpaholic

(is it not possible for multiple attachments?)
  8. warpTV

warpTV warpaholic

(another)
  9. eXhale

eXhale video magician

Sweeeeet :D

It's quite bright for a rear projection
  10. krezrock

krezrock New Member

nice, i like the feel. good work.
  11. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

They were quite small mate, just put them into a post... easier than attaching to multiple messages :)
  12. eXhale

eXhale video magician

like he said, we can't attach several files to a single message. vbulletin limitation...
  13. murph

murph vidiot

We like the 12'x9' pro screens (rented) or the screens owned by one of the large local promoters, two 15'x15' and one 40'x30' screen. One pixel on that thing is about 1"x1"!!!!