1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stuck in a circle

Discussion in 'Resonance' started by werlin, Mar 18, 2011.

1. werlin

werlin nDisplay

I just found out i'll be vjing on a circular canvas... :confused: a first for me

well i know that i can take a mask and cut the circle into any shape i want, and thus making a square canvas.... but im not about to spend the whole performance avoiding the issue, pretending that the screen is anything but a circle... plus it would greatly decrease screen space so..

this might be a shot in the dark, since its hard enough to find anything going deeply into rectagular compositions, but:

does anyone has any idea where i can find a "rules of composition in circular canvases" kind of read?
    or perhaps point me some good and solid circular artwork?
    or if you have any experience on this issue that you might want to share?

thanks ;)

ps: i do appreciate the irony with my logo up there :D
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. dEp

dEp Member

3. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

have you got binary downloads of your plugins available anywhere dEp?
  4. werlin

werlin nDisplay

thanks dEp, but i really wanted something more than triangles where you got, clocks, V's, cross, and so on

one example of a good basic form for a circ. comp. would be (what i call the belt)

[​IMG]

im looking for some info along the lines of http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3275
    but for circular canvas, to see if there are some strong form compositions that dont end up breaking the circle in 3 sided parts

im writing without looking but, arent dEp's plugs in resolume?!?
  5. vj Lambency

vj Lambency visualist

some new plugins would be awesome.
  6. SiliconPumpgun

SiliconPumpgun palying with myspace

you can read the book - laws of form form georg spencer brown (www.amazon.at)-

this kind of visuals - projecting on circular canvas -> get in touch with "asap crew" austria (something lika that) or ask somebody from www.posthof.at
    they might can help you out.

cheers, sp
  7. SiliconPumpgun

SiliconPumpgun palying with myspace

if you see the circle by 2 feet, one feet 3,3 periodic > 6,6 m periodic.

a circle cannot be calculated by a even round shape. it´s more like a ocatgon, or hexagon, or even more like this. it depends an how serious you take the number pi.

cheers, sp
  8. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

if by "asap crew" you mean " 2 years ago crew" then im sure they would be ideal help....
  9. dEp

dEp Member

They're available for most effects in the same Assembla repository, under binaries, but I just noticed that PolarCoordinates is not among them. It should compile with the free Visual Studio Express without much hassle - at the moment, I'm on Linux, with no way to compile for Windows/OSX. Maybe some day I'll set up a virtual machine...