1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me WHY!!! Software and why you chose it

Discussion in 'Software' started by asterix, Feb 25, 2008.

1. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

We often hear bits and snippets of why people prefer this vj software over that vj software. But I thought it would be useful for new beginners, developers and the community as a whole if we each explained why they settled for their weapon of choice?

Was it the interface and if so what about it? Performance benefits and why? Was it a cool effect or funky widget? Give a short paragraph - What was the final straw that screamed 'this is the one for me'?
  2. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

For me it was a transition from creating audiovisualisers. I wanted to get into video clip mixing but having intricate control over what I was creating.
    Flowmotion had for me, the best range of controls over effects, blends and mixing channels. I could:
    • link sound, sin wave and lfo parameters, or manually tweaks knobs and scratch sliders on the fly in a wide variety of ways. I could automate or manualise the mixing in many different ways which gave me more freedom performing live.
    • The channel blending like screen, overlay, mask and multiply worked nicely with my intention to layer up to 5 channels of video onto each other nicely.
    • Full range of freeframe effect sliders meant I could put them to full use.
  3. Mavrick

Mavrick New Member

vjo, because it had an sdk so I could attempt to write my own plugins.

why didn't i go for freeframe?
    reasons are twofold:
    1. freeframe was initially a harder learning curve (although vjo is incedibly complex once I found all the ways to do things), and vjo opened up things more
    2. I had made my deciscion to use vjo, so using it's own sdk would mean anything I developed could only be used for vjo, which then gives vjo unique features

why have I stayed wth vjo?
    because (even after four years of live work, etc), vjo is still one of the most flexible things I find to work with. it has its faults, but no more than any other package.
  4. thomase

thomase VJ Wunderkind

VDMX for me because I came from prophe (Clip triggering) to Grid (same) to GridPro (two channels) to VDMX and I love it cause it's completely modular and can be anything you want it to be... I also used VJO in the past so modular stuff is cool with me...
  5. Cristobal

Cristobal Vision 2012

Arkaos 3.6 for the PC.

This software introduced VJ'ing for me. My friend VJ Spaceturtle from California showed me the insights when he stayed with me on his Europe tour.
    The great thing about Arkaos is that it is very easy and intuitive to learn imo. After 1 hour with it, you can be ready to VJ :). I still use Arkaos and it really has alot of potentioal if you dig deep in it. I have used it with cam integration and it has worked fine. It still crashes from time to time in full-screen, so that is a major flaw. I doesnt handle xvid/mpeg too well, but you will find a way to work with them. QT is by far the best option to use in Arkaos imo.
    The effects are are many, and even more in GPU/HW mode. It is very easy to connect MIDI controllers to it, even worked fine with a Nintendo Wii Controller. I think it works well for certain gigs, i.e trance/techno parties etc.

I also use Resolume, and it will be the software of choice in the nearest future, but i dont know it well enough to give a good review. But i can say that it has alot more options and effects than arkaos, and it just looks a little more sophisticated.
  6. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

VJamm - because it was better than VHS (10 years ago..)
    I've stuck with it since then as it still provides the most reliable playback of AVI files that i've seen. The low latency triggering and accurate speed change makes it easy to synchronize clips to the music.

The only thing that tempts me away from VJamm is Quarz composer on the mac and VisualJockey on the PC - both of these node based apps have the ability to do procedural animation and build complex effects chains which react to the music - something which i cannot do in VJamm. I also have a softspot for isadora for the same reasons - if i had a decent mac then i suspect issy would be my number 1 tool on the mac.
  7. Hambone

Hambone New Member

Arkaos VJ, primarily because of it’s synth-analogy and tight integration with Ableton Live, low-CPU Core Image effects, and the ability to use a library of MIDI clips (notes and CCs) with any Arkaos patch by simply sending a patch change from Live.

Camera integration is tight and reliable, video is easy to control from Live for perfect sync, and it’s easy to choreograph the lighting and video together in Live. Dynamic Flash is easy to do, and I can control everything with MIDI controllers or through Live without ever having to look at the crappy Arkaos interface (except for text messaging).

I really hope they sort out the interface and file management the next time around, though...
  8. Bokonon

Bokonon SonicSlice

Modul8
    Mainly chosen because I knew it would work effectively and reliably on a fairly lowly mac. Interface wise, it has a stanardized front end, thats easy to use in a live context, with the ability to fairly simply create your own specific toys for it at the back end, its being updated regularly and the developers are very good at listening to users wants and incorporating them into their incremental updates - in addition, the developers are very quick at replying to concerns and will examine log files etc. as well as in a number of examples createing a specific build of the software to accomodate a users more esoteric needs.
  9. gnomatron

gnomatron two5 studio

Arkaos, because it's the first one I learnt and it works fine for me. Seems a bit of a rubbish reason, eh? I also like instant one-button access to 100+ clips, probably there's other vj software that does that though. It feels to me like the most flexible from what little I've seen of other software, you can use it in loads of different ways.
  10. VJLightness

VJLightness Liquid Light

im using arkaos and starting on modull8 , i want to mix both.
    each one have diferent good and bad reasons to use it ... i think the limitations of each software is what can define a style.
  11. paranoidkarma

paranoidkarma ** VISUAL ADDICT **

Resolume because was the second software i used after motion dive :wow: and i like the clean interface, currently playing with vjo at my studio.
    For production -> :nod: ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS :nod:
  12. nwonknu

nwonknu I've given money to VJForums

Resolume, first one I learnt. Now looking for new ones, would like to try modul8, but no mac in my room :shrug:
  13. XPz

XPz New Member

ArKaos cause it's very stable (got some crash related to codecs), works great in very high resolutions (since 3.6) and ReWire it with Ableton Live makes it a very powerful media server.
  14. CRAbS

CRAbS commander

tryed out some different types of vj software, but arkaos was more suitable for my style. it does the trick and is very easy to use if you're new to video and vj. i started out blank, all i knew was that i wanted to do visuals but had no clue how it all worked. most vj software didn't made any sense to me. resolume and arkaos was for me the best choice.
    resolume crashed a couple of times so i used arkaos 3.5
    now i'm using nuvj with it's dedicated midi controller. i hope they soon update it because it doesn't have freeframe and i like to see more control over the clips like trim clips like you can in arkaos 3.5
    nuvj is fun to scratch with and that's the main reason for me to use it.
  15. mowgli

mowgli collapsing wave functions

Modul8, I started with arkaos but soon got frustrated with its limitations. I tested every single mac demo and Modul8 won hands down for performance, possibilities, expandability, customisation, multiscreen, interface etc.
    I love it.
  16. Scratchpole

Scratchpole Hmm still thinking...

EDO, because someone has to!

It's the simplest modular software I have ever used.
    It has 3D model functions.
    It works in realtime and as a renderer.
    It can be used as a simple triggering app and also to build more complicated visualisations.
    When it came along I knew of no other mac software with the same openGL power.
    Best of all it's FREE!
  17. bridd

bridd :)

I use Veejay. Why? Because it rocks, it's free, it's opensource, and it runs under linux. It's video clip based, midi enabled, and like any application with depth to it, the more I've learnt about it, the more I manage to get out of it.

I can use FreeFrame FX (although, obviously not commerical Win32/OSX ones), and it comes with a pretty good truckload of it's own inbuilt fx as well.

My favourite part of it is that you can render out to new loops seamlessly, which makes some on the fly loop creation pretty straight forwards.
  18. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

Arkaos is the main software I use at the mo. One of the first I tried, it also has enough to develop a fairly technical show as you develop. The software has continued to be developed unlike some and should you come into the big time has all sorts of progression options with powerful media servers in the A10 and now LED mappers and DMX etc. I can see it being developed and be improved still further over the next few years. I also took to the suggested method of triggering in the Oxygen8, nothing could be simpler or much cheaper. As said above it's certainly one of the most stable softwares.

I'm now expanding into more technical programs and production software in the Derivative Touch mixer and Touch designer. This year possibly a Mac and M8 or VDMX.
  19. Meierhans

Meierhans Spezialmusik

I use Vjo because I just can`t quit it. Tried several therapies, but I´m still obsessed into layering nodes on top of each other until my CPU is melting and eyes are dry as sand. :p

Serious.. Vjo gives me the biggest freedom to create unique visuals that run half automated, half controlled tight in beat. You can prepare your stuff in a way that it runs fine with 5 keys and a mouse and stays controllabe in any state of mind... or you can create monster FXC´s with 50 external controllers and 100 keys. Its not just mixing video clips, but creating weird realtime visual synth machines with all kind of recources and generators mixed up just as I want it. A mixture of building stuff with lego bricks and soldering analog circuits...very simple and easy to learn in detail, but incredible complex and free on the whole. Its coded very low level and very efficient, so (excuse me) I always have to grin a it bif I hear people have problems with hickups on 3 layers 640*480 in Resolume.. take it by 2 and you start to run into the same problems with Vjo..
    It never gets boring, even after 7 years of using it I still find new ways to (ab)use it every day. I´m still wondering that it can freely be exported, Object Tracker together with a thermal cam and midi out could easily be abused to build cruising missiles... :D
    I´ve tried any PC based VJ app on the market, especially MXwendler, Pilgrim and Vjamm in fact have/had alot of charm and may one day be integrated into my spaceship (maybe if fugstreaming works without jitter and CPU hit..). But none of them gave me the freedom of choice out of more then 300 native plugins I´m just used to, so I always returned to Vjo. It may be rusty and CPU based, but I heard its also good for the Karma to use it....

Enuff advertisement for today... but I would not claim this shit if I would not believe into it. :)
  20. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

did you know that Arkaos provides a latchable button for sub-space mind connection to Arkaos? that pretty much made it my app of choice.

word to that.

i started on Aestesis in 2001, which was like two clip-decks and a crossfader, with effects and generative options too. very, very simple, and yet a lot of fun. Renan Aestesis went on to write Elektronica, however i decided to just focus on the mac, and so went with Arkaos.

file management issues are basically going to drive me away from Arkaos ... unless they get it right this year. :) also needs individual templates that can be saved and then applied as required... imho.

the quality of video playback with Arkaos really is very good. i have used other lesser clip trigger apps on the mac, and they look about 20 percent as good... also i do like some of the effects in arkaos when i tweak the parameters. never use the tunnel effect tho.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  21. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

Motion Dive 3 because was very friendly and very easy to use, MDT was a disaster and MD3 stayed with the G4 Macs that I still use any way.

I was using Arkaos at same time but it was bulky, never as a primary software even the output and midi capabilities made it a perfect secundary software.

Now I am with Modul8 as a primary software just because it has a lot of parameters that can create crazy stuff and the interface is very friendly in the way that give me a quick access to everything.
  22. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

Resolume is the one i use most, i love the simple interface and i wouldnt be without the BPM sync facility. Have used it since version 1.5 and always found it more comfortable to my way of thinking than other softwares. I like the amount of clips i can have at my fingertips as well as the idea of being able to load decks of clips.

i have tried vjo in the past and, now that its free, will be using it for some content creation, but Resolume will stay my main software.
  23. Kyle

Kyle "Hello my VJ friend"

Motion Dive Tokyo with controller.

Why?
    • $279 US on Ebay new, cheaper now I hear and I started with old Motion Dive. It's stable and runs well.
    • The text editor works well and has the ability to add dynamic text layers.
    • Handles .swf, .mov, .avi and others *note Quicktime 7, h264 isn't supported at the moment and I don't think there are plans to upgrade or fix.
    • Easy to navigate and trigger through libraries w/controller
    Overall it's a simple software that does what I need and want. :p to all the MDT haters.

Xnth

Why?
    • nobody else has it except a few lucky ones :p
    • high definition 3d visual synthesizer
    • plays video clips up to 1080p
    • super high performance live video in at 480p
    • insane # of presets (over 2000)
    • 2d, animated 2d (flipbook), AVI and 3D
    Screen Capture, click here for hi def 2560x1024

[​IMG]

[ame="http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=28908624"]Xnth mixed video: what is what?! by ENIAC[/ame]

[ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=29210314"]Xnth mixed video: Drift by ENIAC[/ame]​
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  24. DrEskaton

DrEskaton Triple Hexagon, Osaka

VDMX + VAST (my own custom app for stills and text manipulation)

I used to use Pixelshox and then my own mixer written in QC (Quartonian), but VDMX now does all the clip triggering and setup saving for me while still allowing me to create my own effects chains in QC.
  25. vdmoKstaTi

vdmoKstaTi Seems to be Right Now

Resolume + After Effects are like peas and carrots in my visual nutrition. They will stay there for a while.

Open TZT as a secondary tool.

GEM Pure Data. Cos it allows you to build your own visuals for live manipulation.

Processing,- cos code is poetry.
  26. mxmai

mxmai pointless anagram

vdmx, because...

- speed
    - customizability
    - regular updates & good support
    - flexibility via quartz

used to use resolume, which i thought had the best setup of all the fixed-interface apps, but the ability to build your own UI in apps like isadora and vdmx just makes them that much more powerful.
  27. devonmiles

devonmiles Midi: the language of God

VDMX because:
    its stable
    scalable
    customizable
    can utilize fx created in quartz composer
    runs ultrawide clips ( 2400x600) flawless over three screens

Pilgrim on PC:
    great midi linksystem
    good audio analysis
    can map video and live input on 3D objects
    easy to use GUI

Resolume for spontaneous jamming
  28. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

I'm still using the hex patch with IUA's FF Plugins. Works for Me:) Seems likely the hex patch will see action again in a dome @BM08 this year!
    I sometimes use Issy,(in video mapping situations) and am looking forward to using the DV7(A/V sampler) more with Live and Scope.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  29. amsonx

amsonx amsonx

Here VDMX and Isadora meeting Quartz Composer :) on iMac core 2 duo
    for flexibility,integration with midi and OSC and freedom to customize interface and workflow

for audio bidule and numerology on a PB 15 1.33

on the hardware side BCR 2000 and Padkontrol
  30. KidKDN

KidKDN Grand Puba to Lord Tu-Tu

MDT & Others

for video file playback :

MDT - why it was the first one i used, i also like the way it works coming form a DJ perspective. i have used other software mostly resolume (performace) and module8 ( production ), and i keep on coming back to MDT. No i don't use the hardware i got a tablet pc instead, but i am looking into buying it on e-bay (i hear it s going for cheap now due to it flopping but no rush ).

I also use Milkdrop and AVS for generative stuff, i like them because they are scriptable and also have a ton of presets that you can download. plus they can run on the 4 or 5 old pc laptops i have lying around and take in live input. ( which also makes them great if i need to borrow a laptop for a gig ).

it helps if you have a hardware mixer to mix the two !