1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Text Message (SMS) to screen

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by stickygreen, Mar 26, 2012.

1. stickygreen

stickygreen this is my custom title

so a client has asked me to produce a system for there event that allows the attendee's to send text messages, or face book messages to a screen that can be seen by everyone.

I found this http://www.iwall.com.ar/index.en.html but it seems really out of date. the phone compatibilty list is for really old phones, I keep thinking there must be something out there for an Iphone..?

anyone have any idea's?

the client is really open to new idea's so any suggestions would be great.

2. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

It's easy to use a twitter live stream because twitter has a fairly good API.

Facebook doesn't have an API, so you'll have to do data mining to make it work.

I did some research for sms in quartz composer (with an android phone), and it's not impossible to do but it's complex. (you mostly need to use xml or webservers with GET requests, or mysql). Search for "SMS gateway"

You'll also need some moderation for this, because people can send anything and it'll appear on the big screen.

BTW: for my twitter program I used quartz composer.

3. Thelooca

Thelooca Member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  4. many2

many2 Active Member

If this is a private event then go ahead and forget about what is written below.

If this is a public event, then there is one non-tech essential missing from your project : moderation. You have no idea how much abuse a system like this will suffer. You need a man in the middle to filter everything if you want to mitigate that risk. Else, you'll read lots of dirty words (which are ok for most situations) and worse, like advertisement for another club just across the street ;)

5. stickygreen

Yes it's for public display, and yes i understand I need moderation, that's why i've been searching for a pre packaged system like iWall, or textfire that can provide me with the moderation tool i am going to need.

I'm not really interested in twitter or text (SMS), mostly facebook. iWall seems to be the only program like this that offers FB integration.

So anyone else with experience using these types of application, please leave me your feedback, i'm in the market for the right system.

6. Thelooca

Thelooca Member

If you are going to use facebook you are not going to be able to moderate. You will only be able to delete it fast :) since you don't have permission except on your own event/fanpage/...-wall. You will not be able to generate a 'delay' in order to moderate since facebook is public. But that also brings the advantage that people will not exaggerate (mostly: their mom or boss or ... is watching too :) :) )

If you decide to go that way anyway you could use coge's webkit to display the facebook wall.

7. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

Just employ someone to copy and paste from facebook into some kind of database and then access it from quartzcomposer / flash / whatever.

Given that you will need someone to moderate they may as well do the copy and paste too. They will most likely also need to make up messages when nobody has sent any.

Have you checked the venue to see if there is actually any cell phone reception? I've done a few gigs where people wanted to do various twitter, facebook / sms type things only to find out that none of the audience could get a signal!

8. stickygreen

I've thought about doing it all manually, but i believe the iWall has facebook integration, and that includes moderation, so if the product exists then why do more work than needed. Unless i can find another application that offer's FB to screen then my back up plan is to make it happen manually.

I've just ordered a small GSM 3G modem to test it all out with, so i'll know more in a a week or two.

And the venue is outside in a park, so i'm sure there is cell phone reception.

9. stickygreen

Have you used iWall, and this is how the system works, from your experience?

10. Thelooca

Thelooca Member

We use the software from codesegment.com but that was for textmessages (sms), i haven't used iwall myself;

I did twitter once (with a quartz composition) and then had the experience that you can 'moderate' (aka delete posts) but only on your view of twitter/facebook (that's projected) If someone checks on their own cellphone they will see the unmoderated version because if you delete a post it doesn't immediatly dissapear from everyones view.

Sidenote: About a month ago a friend of mine had to do the social media for live television show called "the voice" (some idol-like competition on tv). They had fb and twitter live in the background but shut it down about a half hour after the show started because they couldn't control it as they wanted. Lot's of dirty words were live on tv :) :) :) :) as soon as about 10 people posted at once they lost control...

Perhaps a completely different approach: most phones have bleutooth, couldn't it be possible to send messages to some kind of bleutooth-server with it's own software. Just thinking out loud here...

11. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

manually is really the only professional way of doing this, all the automated systems are unreliable and canot moderate properly. (at best they can filter out messages which contain words from a banned list - this will not stop the linguistically creative from being offensive!!) The biggest public screen systems are manually controlled. Eg this example from Nokia - they just typed messages into the system, it's quicker, easier, more reliable and cheaper to do it this way, even if your Nokia who know a thing or two about text messaging!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  12. MrJustin

MrJustin I've given money to VJForums

Last year i made a system for doing this in QC. But its not very straightforward to set up. you will need a MySQL database,cocoa ultra and a few other thing to set up first, including a phone compatible with cocoa ultra.

The system queues up incoming messages which need to be approved or denied manually (Y/N keyboard shortcut.)

The approved messages are then displayed at random with every 4th display reminding people of the number to text etc. Any message which has just been approved for display jumps to the front of this queue to make sure it doesn't take ages for it to be seen.

[​IMG]

Top right you can see the content of the current message waiting to be approved, and buttons to approve or deny it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  13. MrJustin

MrJustin I've given money to VJForums

14. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

I'm working on something similar, but with the moderation system in a website working on php.

The phone uploads each sms to database 1, there's a simple php program to check and if the message is good it gets the message to database 2.

Then quartz composer gets the messages through a xml file from database 2 and shows it.

15. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

you don't need 2 DB - just have an approved field which is set when the data is approved. Then it's just a simple mysql select to get the approved data into quartz.

good luck with any form of auto moderation. It isn't possible for a computer to moderate, for example the following phrases would all most likely be approved and displayed on your screen.

"The sub-standard and lazy VeeJay is approving abusive messages"

"This music doesn't inspire me"

"this event has left me feeling suicidal"

"the promoters are crack heads who must have faulty cochlear implants if they think this is a good dj"

Obviously a human moderator would not approve any of these messages but your computer system will.

16. stickygreen

just for the record, I do not expect an automated system. When I put this request out there, I fully expected to have an operator working the system, it's human to human interaction after all..

anyway I've got something working now, it's a bit of home made, and a bit of FFGL plugin... though i really do need to understand FugWraperGL a bit better to get it just the way i think it should be.