1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uploading

Discussion in 'Finding Content' started by THC, Jan 16, 2007.

1. THC

THC New Member

What is the best place to post your clips online? (you tube, my space......)
    lot's of them i saw have poor quality, is it the uploading encoding or just
    the service?
    what is the best codec to post anyway?

2. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

I use Sorenson3 on my site. It has good quality for the filesize and I can manually dial up or down my bitrate target to get a cleaner picture or a smaller filesize. But if you are not hosting yourself that is less an issue.

I think Youtube is not an acceptable quality. OK for webcrap, not good enough for visuals. Myspace does not host files(?). You've probably seen YouTube embeded in a myspace page.

3. USE

USE Primal Visions

google video seems to have the largest allowable filesize, and you tube is prolly the most watched, but as for codecs im having trouble. i

beleive that they mostly use mp4 or flv files, but i have no way to compress vid as such so i uploaded a full quality avi onto google video, but it came out looking wack.

need help. there are some feature length films on g vid and they are better quality than my 5 min one :(

4. THC

THC New Member

still not clear.....

5. davidthevj

davidthevj New Member

myspace will allow video uploads, dont know if you need to have a filmmaker profile but I know it can be done.

Do you want to put mixes online for people to watch or loops fro people to download and use?

For the former google video is probably the best, for the latter archive.org

6. USE

USE Primal Visions

for me at leats the crucial info is how to compress video to get hi-res google vids. im fairly sure its flv, as that is what it is shown as (if you use "unplug" plugin, you can rip them) but i cant find a free flv-converter.

7. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

Can you say your question with other words? I'm not sure what info you are missing...?

8. johnnylocust

johnnylocust R3dN3cK \/_/

www.vimeo.com is pretty good. The version of the clip you see in your browser looks kinda crappy, but it allows you to download the original non-transcoded clip. They only let you upload 30 megs a week though.

9. THC

THC New Member

i want to know what is the best place to upload a video for people to watch with the best quality and what is the best codec for that service, sorry if i wasn't enough at first....:banghead:

10. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

let's start at the beginning. What format is your video? What resolution is it, and what codec is it in now?

11. THC

THC New Member

from start....................................
    I work on Avid DV 1/1 720x480
    i just want to know where and how to post my stuff in the best quality
    possible. I don't have a web page...

12. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

If you open an account at vimeo (link above) you can upload 20MB(?) of video per month. Looks like the video gets converted to FLASH. Then the video appears on your account page (like flicker or similar -- go to vimeo and look at some videos, this will be obvious). For each video there is a button that says "embed". When you click that you get a link to the page and/or the html for embedding the video in another page (like your myspace page). People go to your myspace page and the video starts playing. There are probably limits on how often you can download. Read the fine print for their terms and service. If they have size limitations or require a specific codec they will tell you.

Here are 10 similar services compared.

13. Westbam

Westbam Golden Puppie

I uploaded to youtube, and that is crap, cozz the re-compress and re-size and change the the framrate for you.

I also use E-snips. Viewers need te same codec as you used, so clips get uploaded un-altered. Not sure about any restrictions.

So CODEC is all up to you (best pick one that is wide spread).

http://esnips.com/signin/index.jsp

My videos as example

14. THC

THC New Member

thanks to all....but NAHHH..... i'll go and get myself my own webpage, quality is an option i can't compromise with.....:biggrin:

15. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

16. nutcracker

nutcracker I've given money to VJForums

Wonder why there's this comment on Vimeo site?

"Most Windows machines come with Windows Movie Maker (click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Movie Maker). Most Macs come with iMovie. Both programs get the job done. We use QuickTime Pro ($30), but it's a ripoff and we don't recommend it."

Quicktime is the easiest way to quickly chop up Mov files, $30 is peanuts.

They use it, yet its a rip off?

17. makemassair

meh who cares. ;)

a tip thou. compress your video to the site's specific output option. so in youtube/vimeo I'm guessing the default is 320x240. So if you use a specific video compressor, like compressor on the mac or vdub on the pc then the website won't use it's lesser builtin compression.

I think youtube has a limit of 10mins... vimeo is 30meg per week. google video, dunno.

myspace will let you upload videos. not sure on limit, but you don't need a filmmaker account.

18. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

www.archive.org - you can upload your full quality DV files - no limit on filesize or length - it creates streaming MPEG4 versions for fast viewing as well as allowing people to download the full quality versions. oh and it's free

19. makemassair

doesn't it do auto thumbnails as well?

20. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

21. makemassair

22. dePICT

dePICT Obstacles for yo Opticals

YouTube does have the largest community, which is a plus. You can easily find niches that other sites wouldn't have. The low quality discourages people from jacking/editing your content. It is good for fun, meeting folks, not serious promoting. Other sites provide better quality but there just isn't enough people on them. I upload my vids as mpeg 1 720x480, usually looks aight.

23. THC

THC New Member

tks

24. johnnylocust

johnnylocust R3dN3cK \/_/

Just to let you guys know. Vimeo has recently raised the weekly limit to 250 megs :)

25. makemassair

ace.

also dailymotion seems quite cool. no idea on upload limits. but it seems a fair few half hour + tv shows are on it.

legoman's clips are on dailymotion and look damn nice, no nasty blocky pixels like u get with 99% of utube.

26. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

you can always link to archive.org full quality versions in the text on youtube - this is a good solution to A give people a full quality download and B spread the word about archive.org

27. ElectroStreamz

ElectroStreamz ElectroJunkie

video posting

I would opt to use stage6

almost all the files are in divx format and many are also highdef

Joel

28. makemassair

yea but if u are doing stuff for VJs. Divx is a horrible format.