1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using the right cameras

Discussion in 'Creating Content' started by cneeraj, Dec 9, 2008.

1. cneeraj

cneeraj New Member

If I would like to shoot my own video content what would be the best camera to go for?
  2. bright

bright New Member

i use a canon XH A1 and i am very happy with it. what i like especially is the fact that ic can either do 16:9 HDV or 4:3 DV, plus it can do 25 frames progressive. furthermore the fact that you can control focus, zoom and f-stop each with a individual ring rather than a electronic thing is very usefull in my eyes.

hope that helps
    thomas
  3. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

more info please.
    do you have any experience with cameras, and plenty of money?

you'll find people here use cameras costing between a $300 and $10,000
    do you need pro audio or just want to shoot content for visuals?

[​IMG]

Sleepytom recommends this one as a nice basic camera..

more here.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  4. cneeraj

cneeraj New Member

I have used Sony Hi 8 in the past. My budget is <= $700. I will check the suggestions listed here.
  5. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

Sony Hi 8 are absolutely fantastic. i love the quality of visuals from those cameras. if you still have a Sony Hi 8, i would suggest using that, as they have a firewire connection hidden in a small panel. this means you can capture and edit on computer just like from a miniDV cam.

i used one for a music video in 2001 .. presumed there was no firewire connection and had to pay $400 to get the tape telecined ..
    and then two weeks later found the firewire connection.

otherwise if you are going for something new, checkout the cameras that film to a chip.

my lumix tz1 films extremely high quality footage, and that is an early version. i think the tz 5 now actually films in HD, and comes with a wide angle 28mm lens .. very nice. also good for photography, however the footage is really nice, progressive 30 fps photo jpeg codec.

the joys of filming to a chip cannot be fully explained unless you have worked extensively with video cameras that film to tape.
    all that waiting around for the tape to rewind ... looking for certain places on the tape ... trying to keep tapes clean and dust-free .. a thing of the past.
    just pop a 3cm chip in the camera, film, take it out and place it in the chip reader .. drag and drop onto hard drive .. too easy :)
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  6. cneeraj

cneeraj New Member

vj_jasper,
    Thank you for your suggestions. Certainly most useful.