1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video card

Discussion in 'Software' started by EricSands5, Apr 19, 2005.

1. EricSands5

EricSands5 New Member

What's a good video card these days for playing ripped DVD tracks via a SVHS output on the card? Do I need 256 memory, or is 128 enough?

NVidia? ATI? Any others?
  2. XPz

XPz New Member

nVidia SVideo output is low quality... ATI is better.
  3. karl

karl Sex, Drugs and Videogames

i would recommend you to buy a standalone capture card like a brooke3 pci card or a usb dongle.

Ive have two ATI all-in-wonder and have had 3 versions of NVidea VIVO cards, and they all work good. the problem is that when your old graphiccard gets outdated you also loose the capture card... much better to have it separate in the long run.

Amount of video RAM doesnt matter much beyond 128mb when it comes to output quality and capturing. The extra ram can only be used to buffer textures anyway. So if you aint doing heavy 3d graphics or want to play doom666(665 or less will be fine thou) a 128mb card will be more than enough. Consider that the best quality and performance in 2d comes from matrox cards with 32 or 64 mb of memory.

Get your self a pci or usb video capture card and get whatever graphics card you can afford... NVidea or ATI, i think the differences are small in performance or quality. (yes i would get a ati if the s-video quality is the selling point, without a scan converter ati would be slightly better than nvidea, in my oppinion)
  4. karl

yes i spelled nvidia wrong...

but i did it consistently!!! :)
  5. EricSands5

EricSands5 New Member

Well, I wdon't need a capture card... I already have a separate Canopus RT video editing card/software. I just need good playback on DVD music videos I plan to rip...
  6. karl

ok, for playing back movies any vga card will do, but matrox has the best output quality. but i would go for an ati in the low/middle range because i need 3d support to. Radeon 9600 gives good value for money right now, and if you wait untill fall you will be able to get 9800's for the same price.
  7. EricSands5

EricSands5 New Member

Does the fact that I'll be using both outputs affect anything? In other words, I'll be using the main video output to display Triserasoft video mixing software, and the SVHS output to display full screen into an external video mixer...?

Also, if 64 MB is OK, why am I getting a very pixelated reult when playing a rip to AVI from #1 DVD Ripper?
  8. robotfunk

robotfunk Feed your Machine

matrox used o have the best quality video output but those days are long gone..
    recently i read a review where they compared video out quality from different cards.

nvidea and matrox came out quite bad, unacceptable quality and ati came out as having the only decent quality vid out...
    as someone w/o a scanny this is rather important to me.
  9. EricSands5

EricSands5 New Member

I think I'll get the ATI RADEON 9800 PRO. Anyone have any experience using that for live performance?