1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

visually interesting films

Discussion in 'Talk with VJs' started by mowgli, Oct 25, 2009.

1. mowgli

mowgli collapsing wave functions

Can anyone recommend films with a strong visual style. Creative compositing, animation, anything really. I'm not bothered about whether the films are good or not, just their visual qualities.

Cheers
  2. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  3. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

sky captain.
    shite plot but unique visuals.

4. hamageddon

hamageddon Motion Mapping Looper

Santa Sangre by Jodorowsky
    Avalon by Mamoru Oshii
    The Fall by Tarsem Singh (The Cell Guy)
    something by Jeunet&Caro, City of lost children maybe
    and 13 Ghosts, but jusr for the beautiful glasswalls

5. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

The Science of Sleep
  6. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

What is unique about this?
  7. MJ

MJ I've given money to VJForums

sin city?

8. deepvisual

first ever film shot totally on greenscreen.
  9. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

Well that may make it technically unusual and of historical note, but he did say visually interesting - which - imo this ain't!
  10. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

Probably not arty enough for some of you:) I enjoy watching the progression of special effects and have always been a fan of the horror classics. I enjoy trying to emulate some with the little knowledge and resources I have. I certainly find some of the scenes, scenery, props, interesting so far in these trailers.

11. vanakaru

vanakaru I've given money to VJForums

These films have inspired me a lot
    Blowup by M. Antonioni
    Play Time by J. Tati
    The Knack ....and how to get it by R. Lester
    THX 1138 by G. Lucas
    all of these are great camera works and beautifully constructed sets. And classics.
  12. Moabyte

Moabyte Digital Media Jockey

Head by the Monkeys - this is a strange one.
    Tommy by the Who - Good content.
    Willy Wonka 2005 - good facial expressions and dances
  13. Amukidi

Amukidi New Member

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!
  14. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

A Scanner Darkly

Err just about animation ever made.

actually i think about 90% of films have a strong visual style. That is normally what they spend a significant amount of money trying to create though the post production grading process.

I find it intriguing that Amukidi finds that "Sky Captain" doesn't have a strong visual style? Hasn't he noticed that the background in every shot is drawn in the style of WW2 recruiting posters? The overall look of the film is very strong and they have clearly spent a lot of time on the 40s/50s futuristic styling of the artwork.

So lets change the question, can anyone show me a flim which doesn't have a strong visual style?

Spice Girls "The Movie" :D
  16. Tony_Blend

Tony_Blend formerly known as theLABvisuals

I shalt not fear, fear is the mind killer, fear is the little death that brings total oblivion (repeat as necessary)
  17. deepvisual

he got me to look at it twice.
    its shot so every scene looks like a still from a comic, which is some achievement, one that all the marvel films have tried, but failed to emulate.
  18. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

Err from my memory of it (i was once paid to play it to children!) Spice World has the look of ENG news / fly on the wall docu style even though it is 100% scripted performances and was shot on film.

Ergo it IS visually styled to give a certain look, they have spent time and money thinking about this even though the film is about as far away from Art as you could imagine.

But that is my point, making a film involves technical choices which influence the look of the finished product. It is very rare to see work where these issues were not considered at all (local news output is about as close as you'll get)
  19. SteveG

What's that I smell....it's not rocking horse $hi!.....must be bull$hi! :D I heard you were in the Q for it's release Tom and were a bit of a stalker when they were at their height......."sporty" I heard:D
  20. luper

luper Lazy Member

Essential tool

I think you can work for hours with some Tsukamoto's movies (i.e. "testuo"), the "Qatsi" trilogy of Godfrey Reggio and "Run Lola Run" ;)
  21. vj_jasper

vj_jasper imagination

Bladerunner, Ghost in the Machine, Minority Report

i would like to make a movie of Druillet's graphic novel/comic "Lone Sloane:: Delirius", and also the previous novel, "Urm". anyone got a spare 35 million with another 27 for the sequel?
  22. VJ MASTERDAMUS

VJ MASTERDAMUS Designing the future

Visually stunning movies:
    Perfume, Scanner darkly, hellboy II: golden army, coraline, Pai, Batman II(with the penguin), Heavy metal (1980 ani), fight club, Trainspotting, The Ring, Silent Hill, final fantasy, Beowulf, the Matrix, ANIMATRIX, 12 monkeys, Alien 4 : resurection, donny darko, fantasia, A Series of Unfortunate Events, star dust, avatar, dark city, city of lost children, pan's labyrinth,
    and Antichrist: which i do NOT recommend anyone to watch!!!
    (or at least not the last chapter...if you ever wanna have sex again!) but the slow mo camera work is amazingly made...
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  23. vjneef

vjneef -------

all the vertov movies
    and leni riefenstahl
    movies with choreographies from busby berkely
    begotten from E. Elias Merhige
    tron
  24. retina_error

retina_error stageterrorist

well leni has a real strong visual language in her movies. to mention one I realy like is def. Metropolis. Just watched the premier of a nearly complete version last night at the berlinale (well I watched on my tv and recorded)
  25. skulpture

skulpture www.grahamthorne.co.uk

Pi by Darren Aronofsky

[​IMG]
  26. Creon

Creon Creative Mongrel

Darren Aronofsky's "The Fountain" has some pretty amazing stuff in it... Esp the opening 10mins or so, with the guy meditating next to a tree in a bubble, floating through the starry universe. Only saw it last year for the first time, and was genuinely awestruck at the visual power of the content. I think eventually the man in the bubble floats up into a dying super-nova, which is a pretty mindblowing sequence. Hopefully that doesn't give any of the plot away!!
  27. evomedia

evomedia Control Freaks

My few choices are:
    'La Antena' by Esteban Sapir
    'The Saddest Music in the world' by Guy Maddin
    'Eraserhead' by David Lynch
    'Amelia' by Edouard Lock (the contemporary dance one...not to be confused with 'Amelie' although also a great movie)
    'Street of Crocodiles' by The Brother Quay, although any of their work is stunning
    'Delicatessen' and 'City of Lost Children' both by Marc Caro & Jean-Pierre Jeunet

These are some of my favorite all time movies.

La Antena

The saddest music in the world

Eraserhead

Amelia (contemporary dance)

Delicatessen

City of Lost Children

yep I do like dark wierd movies
  28. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

29. skulpture

skulpture www.grahamthorne.co.uk