1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VJ evolution

Discussion in 'The Business Side' started by vjrei, Oct 5, 2007.

1. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

Every year there is a jump forward in the VJ timeline.

Many sponsors in Caracas are confused about my figure in the scene. Usually a VJ is a graphic designer with a laptop in some club, the most sofisticate one has a V4 and a DVD player.

But in my case I have 4 powerbooks, 3 V4, a 16/16 matrix switcher, a G5 with 7 outputs (soon) and a Mac Book Pro with 3 outputs.

Last year I was doing big DJs names, this year I went into corporate shows and now I am a set designer (visuals only), I have the most complex equipment, I create teh footage and manage 2 other VJs as well.

So, when a regular VJ charge $200 I charge 8K per show, the problem is that VJing is a little part of the titles I use like Technical Director and Creative Producer.

The thing is that VJing still growing technologically. I am the only one in my city investigating and educating myself, I have my partner who is focused in post production the most.

But I am amazed on how VJing is growing and how much it can give to the industry.

VJing itself is not actually mixing, a VJ is a video expert, a geek in the good sense. And it does not have a shape.

Many video providers are limited to the basic features their equipment offer. Again, this huge company bought the Barco systems that does the same as the TH2G ?for what? To run powerpoint presentations.

I am always dealing with the dilema of what VJing really is. But the good thing is that it does not have bounderies, theer is always something new to do, many creative VJs doing incredible stuff around, pushing technology and specially making fun of it by finding the way around.

So, I have noticed that every year, in my case, I do a big step in technology and in services and the timing is just fine.

I do not even wonder where I am going to be today in a year. Probably doing 3 screens from my iPhone.
  2. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

Jing itself is not actually mixing, a VJ is a video expert, a geek in the good sense. And it does not have a shape.

I disagree. That might be a mark of a professional, but its what comes out the screne that counts really. And if you're controlling it live -your a vj.
  3. mowgli

mowgli collapsing wave functions

I agree with Asterix. Its fair to say that most vj's do have mainly out of necessity a very wide range of skills, from technical knowledge to post-production, but its the live performance that qualifies as vj'ing as far as I'm concerned.

Musicians don't have to rig up all the sound system or make their instruments to qualify as such. They don't even need to be able to read or write music for that matter. I'm sure that all knowledge helps and adds something towards the final result, but at the same time its not strictly necessary or a priority.
    My love and passion is for the creative side of things not the technical. In any case creativity can be applied to everything and anything while technology has limited life spans and is constantly changing making it a fickle subject.
  4. ststephen65

ststephen65 world wanderer

maybe one day i will be this great?!
  5. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

i think the whole thing was best summed up by RB:-
    the point being that any eejit with a copy of resolume is a VJ - they can go and mix their art anywhere they like but there is little chance of them getting paid for it (much the same as musicians really).
    some of us as well as being VJs are also video professionals and we can earn good money by being a video director, set designer, engineer, led technician, camera op, or whatever. Often doing these jobs means losing the creative freedom that VJs enjoy but this is work, not art so it's a sacrifice that we don't mind making.

VJing will continue to grow and become a popular hobby for many people - some of those people might go on to become video professionals, the majority don't want to do this though and are happy mixing their art in their bedrooms and small clubs with their mates.
  6. mowgli

mowgli collapsing wave functions

That is my case, but I still believe that vj'ing is exclusively about the live performance and a certain amount of improvisation. Sure there are a lot of elements outside the performance itself; content creation etc but its the final video output in its particular context that counts. I've seen some vj sets in big festivals throughout Europe this Summer that were just plain disappointing and frustrating, specially bearing in mind that the set ups involved where pretty good. In most instances the content wasn't particularly bad, but the performances were extremely repetitive and completely unrelated to the music. This is why a lot of people think that there really is no difference between playing a DVD and having a vj doing a live set.
  7. vjaca

vjaca New Member

maybe offtopic but my friend(lightjockey) change light colors with his cellphone(nokia communicator) :biggrin: