1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VJ Forums 10th anniversary ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by many2, Jan 26, 2012.

1. many2

many2 Active Member

I do not know exactly when VJforums was started but I know that I was the 17th to join, and that I joined in April 2002.

This seems to point out that we will soon be able to celebrate our 10th anniversary, which is quite a lot for a forum imho.

Anyone has ideas on how we might collectively celebrate that ?

I would also like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to all the Moderators who are working hard to keep our community alive.

Maybe we shall try to contact Exhale just to tell him his creation is still growing and to thank him for founding our community ?

2. visualove

visualove New Member

It would be cool to collect some oral histories from the early days, video conference, audio, text. See if you can contact the first 50 people.

3. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Hmmmm would be interesting to do something... BTW member number 3 here ;) I'm guessing there was a test account, then exhale's account so I could be the oldest still active member.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Oh I take that back, I just did a check and it seems member number 1 iiiiiiiiiis

SLEEPYTOM!!!

5. stevefromNewcastle

stevefromNewcastle New Member

Hi Guys I am still hear and I think I was in the first 10 users registered, not really sure now I can check but I certainly remember being very excited about the forum starting. I may not have posted in the same league as many of you, but I check in at least 4 times a day still.
    It has been interesting to see the slow move away from club vjing, to the diverse visual seen we see now.

Gone are the days of talking 6 amiga monitors to gigs and endlessly looping samples from Baraka and Koyaanisquatsi.

Happy days.

Still I am happy to be involved in a community that still on the whole is welcoming and helpful.
    Steve

6. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

Tom should pay for at least a fiver for that.
    Seriously though what a cracker of thing to read when opening up the forum to check new posts. I wasnt here until somewhile after the start but without the place I would so much poorer in knowledge and friendships.
    Should we try an put on some sort of event to recognise this place and who we are and what we 'could' and can do?

7. cat

cat Senior Moments

Ha! 9th of April apparently, wasn't vjcentral going before the forums? Funny I never go there now...
    I remember being very chuffed to find vjc and getting to chat to people who didn't yawn as I tried to explain what I did... :D
    Don't have to explain these days, well not the vjing, all the other crazy things I do however...

8. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

user 1 is not sleepytom...

sleepytom is user 8

user 1 is user1 (it's an admin account..)

exhale is user 2 and morph is user 3.

Maybe we should do something on the 8th April - that's when it all started apparently.

9. ender

ender Native Resolution

My start date says April 8th. So the ausssies where obviously the first in.

Justin

10. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

http://vjforums.com/member.php?u=1

Oh yeah sorry, sleepy admin ;)

Ummm am I remembering another forum I was part of but was the forum hacked and userlist rebuilt at some stage?? I'm probably mixing them up. Could be why alot of ppl's join date is April 2002.

Justin, your user number is 66, you can see this by going to your profile and checking the number in the URL

11. ender

ender Native Resolution

Yea I seem to remember the forum being rebuilt in the early days as well. Your username was probably =Morph= and thus at the top of user import. :)

12. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Lol, I was one of the ppl Exhale contacted about the forum before it was even made ;)

13. Pesh

Pesh Pixel Tosser

time flies...

i've got a lot of love for VJF and the people that post on here...

VJF has given me a lot over the years, not least meeting and working with some great people from all over the world at some great events over the years.

when i first joined ii was working full time in the video industry, in a fairly controlled environment, but i'd always had an interest in visuals. and partying. so after checking out VJF and after meeting a few people off here i started pitching in and we'd be spending the weekends doing bigger and bigger installs mostly for the sake of doing it.

it paid off in many ways and was a lot of fun, but it was the early days that were the most maddest.

we should definitely try to do something to celebrate... how about 2 rooms, New Skool and Old Skool. one full of beautifully mapped interactive techy madness and another full of projectors flown in milk crates, filthy 320 x 240 samples and a strobe :cool:

14. akira_k

akira_k 8GB EUTour 2010 - book us

Happy birthday VJF! Time does fly indeed.
    I never check here except from time to time, then again, it's not like I am doing visuals that much at the moment anyway.

Best wishes to everyone and eternal gratitude to those who kept these forums running for these 10 years.

15. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

jeez have I been doing this 9 years already???
    my gawd..

16. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

LOL same thing I thought Gary.

17. unjulation

unjulation Moderator

aye there was definitely at least a year of vj forums going and then it got hacked and everyone had to join again hence the 8th April date as far as im aware

i seem to remember quite a few good conversations being lost at that time so im thinking that the forums is actualy a couple of years older then what date the database atm is saying

i think i was about for 6mth/year before the crash/hack and it was going strong already when i joined

18. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

The forum had been running less than a year when it was hacked.

8th April is the date the user table was reimported. The user numbers remain consistent though (i've always been user 8) At the time of the hack we had a collection of 3000 posts, we thought that was an awful lot of info!

Digging a bit more the definitive start date for VJForums is Wed Sep 26, 2001, this is when eXhale posted the following message to the eyecandy group..

19. many2

many2 Active Member

So this means we actually missed our tenth anniversary !

One thing I'd like to do : get in touch with Exhale and have him write a few words. Anyone has a way to contact him somehow ?

20. RayV

RayV =] ++ [=

I second exactly what Pesh said.
    plenty of great! people and great friends i have made here along the years, learned heaps and had great adventures.
    I truly wish we could have celebrate together face to face with the old crowd.
    like in the old Avit times [can we already mention the name Avit now, or is it still an illegal sin?]
    we should mention Elbows who took the vjf torch after Exhale's famous departure letter [why am i i'm leaving the web]
    Elbows, who paid himself for the server and made clever peace when flames where too high.
    I'd like to mention the Aviters who pulled 3 serious Avit's meeting [i think?]
    the first was in ________ [cant recall now] then Brighton, Birmingham
    and one in the US too, wasn't it?

some great contributors who moved on such as Wellreadmean [and his space rig], Toby, The InsideUsAll crew, Levlhed, Pixilight, Oli Anyone, Dan & Tom Syzygy, fAlk, Paul & Lara, Holly, RobotFunk, Hammagedon, Evomedia, wow that just to mention a few. truly so many good people !

It would be great to be able to meet up, maybe a web conference meetup is possible?
    how hard that would be to set this up with multiple participant using today's tools ?
    this place is part of my life and i love it a lot. i am glad you guys still stick around, hanging in there and nurturing the new generation of new comers.
    its beautiful :)
    :club:

21. BrainStove

BrainStove The Brainy Stove

DuePalooza

Well, first at all, a big hug & warm greetings to everyone of the old troupe on this thread. :yep:

Tom must know better than me about this, but just in case: http://download.camfrog.com/ should be enough for every OS platform and needs.

Yeah pals, keep going with the good plans, make an extra effort to get in touch with the rest of the early days fuckheads close to you & try to make all this real.
    ¡I know I'll be happy to attend this long awaited virtual meeting!

Oh! and post your achievements about the plans evolution in here, otherwise I'll have no choice but send my secret army to spy on each one of you, old freaks.. ;)

Of course they wont be a fly buzzing around you, in fact I'm improving my stealth weapons. :p

A big hug everybody!!! :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  22. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

ahhh, knowing about the forum being hacked makes a lot of sense to me.

i was sure my first login wasnt as vjair and that it was pre 2004, but couldnt find any other online names id have used and also noticed that i couldnt find my old vj partner in crime on here ( who none of you will have probably ever met or heard of )

over the years ive met some wonderfull people through here, many of whom i consider to be true, close friends now. ive had some amazing life experiences and had the opportunity to take part in events with people whom i have great respect for and have inspired me for many years.

i have a lot of love for vjforums - my life wouldnt be as it is now without it :love2:

23. MoRpH

MoRpH Moderator

Ah good old Stovey, been to long mate :)

24. many2

many2 Active Member

Nice to see you back indeed BrainStove :)

25. Liquidmetro

Liquidmetro Positively Phototropic

Happy Belated Birthday to VJF! I'm still here although less time to contribute these days! VJing wouldn't have been the same without feeling part of the community through the forums. I've met many a VJ from the board IRL and every one of them has been a pleasure to know!

It would be nice to do something to mark the 10 years!

26. unjulation

unjulation Moderator

aye fair play sleepy - like they say if you can remember it... ;)

but i knew there was some period of time before the April date - i just kinda presumed that it had been going for longer - peeps just seemed to know each other when i first came along

happy b-day and all that

27. BrainStove

BrainStove The Brainy Stove

Needles in the haystack

Taking notice of the scarce ammount of new threads & posts over the recent years here on VJF, which has been in clear declining participation to what it used to be, I can't help it but ask you: ¿What do you think is it all about?

Even, I'm not gonna try to hint you about the obvious, so in these days of overwhelming social media mainstream duties, I guess it would be a better choice to simply point you toward this seven years old thread which a few wisdom gems could be squeezed from, if you try. :eek:

Be aware the author/starter of that thread at the time barely was around his 23 years old age and the thread was opened way before all these other online social paradises which sucks your spare time nowadays even existed... ;)

Soo, Be my guest!!

PS. By the way, for those who met eXhale personally. ¿there is any possible stroke of luck the owner of this website & crazy adventurers there one of them be our VJF founder? If it is so, well.. I suppose he has been doing pretty well till today. :yep:

28. zummbie

zummbie A pixel on a large screen

no but seriously.. congrats. I've only been trolling around for about year and a half - two years but its been a great source of info whenever I did decide to visit. kudos & Thanks!

29. paranoidkarma

paranoidkarma ** VISUAL ADDICT **

Congrats VJForums, i'm not so active as i used to be but for happy reasons :not worthwork work work
    But we need to be happy that after so many years VJForums is still a reference for all visual addicts like us :)

30. LEVLHED

LEVLHED gear whoreder

aye yes, seems ages ago. I distinctly remember being the first member of the first VJF, and being disappointed that I didn't nab the same honor after the crash. But my ego survived. And so has VJF.

I too am not doing much in the realm of the VJ. These days it has been one gig a year, New Year's Eve @ the biggest party in Milwaukee. If you seek out my youtube channel you can find some evidence:)

But, I try to keep tabs on the latest tech and trends, and I currently work in the realm of Broadcast TV (no, not some sort of news anchor/personality) I am working in sales of...gear! Master control switchers. MPEG encoders, satellite modulators, PSIP generators, test equipment......(gear slut for life).

And yes, I still have my precious. The Rebelle.