1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VJ training in Oxford

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by OFVM film oxford, Jan 13, 2011.

1. OFVM film oxford

OFVM film oxford New Member

At the crossroads between DJing, live cinema and the visual arts, VJing is a truly 21st century art form. A creative industry originating in club culture, we can nowadays see VJs in a wide range of venues, from art exhibitions to box office theatres and music events. VJs most often create live performances using video to create a heightened experience of music.

This course is for people seeking to capture a comprehensive first glance at the art of VJing, from its history, its technical tools, to managing VJ specific projects and budgets.

Run by top VJ Ed Shaw

27th & 28th January 2011 135 incl. discount

Run by Oxford based Arts Charity OFVM Film Oxford
    01865 792731 www.ofvm.org office@ofvm.org

2. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

teaching the history and saying vjing originates in club culture concerns me a little.

3. Ne1co

Ne1co AV performance content

please read again:

it says VJing as a creative industry originated in club culture...

4. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

so is vjing which predates clubs not counted as a creative industry? ( genuine question )

5. Scratchpole

Scratchpole Hmm still thinking...

Semantics.

I'm interseted in the cost?
    Incl. Discount. What do you give a discount for?
    I'll give you 135 bottle tops :)

Was this written by your good self Ne1co?
    Hope you get enough people signing up this time.

6. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

please gentlemen.
    as much fun as it is, baiting the likes of NE1 and steveG, it is getting a little repetitive and lowers the general tone of the forum.
    There are still lots of people out there who know next to nothing about VJing and are happy to be taught by 'top VJs' like Ed whatsisname and given the dearth of decent VJ courses NE1Co are fulfilling a genuine need.
    I think far more people should be following their example.
    I'd teach myself, but I'm not allowed near children anymore, not since 'the incident'

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  7. Ne1co

Shaw .

8. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

im sorry if my question came across as baiting - it wasnt meant so

my querie was based on this, which the original poster wrote:

i queeried this because i felt as a statement, it was not right and ignoring a lot of visual history. olis reply was worded differently and is probably what they actualy meant to type.

my second post ( as stated ) is a genuine question.

there was no baiting involved in my posts. ( or at any point with anyone in any of my posts )

9. Rovastar

Rovastar /..\

The semantics of when VJing started really shouldn't be in this post which is really for new people to VJing. For most VJs as most know it is related to club culture. Sure there are many forms that would predate clubs but

It is designed for new people (hence in the "just starting" section) in the VJing scene most experienced VJs have no need to go on a course.

Ed Shaw was the resident at Gods Kitchen/Global gathering many years ago (i don't know if he still is) and AFAIK has been a VJ for a decade or so. I think that will warrant as a top VJ.

Like DeepVisual said it does sound a little like baiting here and there really is no need.

We should all be encouraging VJ courses as it raises awareness for the whole scene. Good luck with it.

10. fata alex

fata alex analog VJ

:lol2: hahahahhaa

This forum is taking itself far too seriously these days.
    Ed really is a very talented vj, and he is still the resident for gods kitchen, at least for some events, don't know if it's all of them. He's put on some of the best shows i've ever seen.

Whether or not the Qs were baiting, it wasn't that overt, and the fact that any questions asked around here are usually taken with hostility is a big shame, everyone needs to lighten up

I suggest the mods delete this thread and led Ed or whoever else it is from Ne1co start a nice new fresh one.

11. Ne1co

12. {VJPortal}

{VJPortal} mr. hardware vj

Guys, vjair is 100% going down the right track.

Live, interactive presentation of motion imagery (a.k.a. "time-based media") has been part of the installation art scene around the world since the 1960s. The deployed technology was significantly different (i.e. much less precise control, lots of jerry-rigged infrastructure), but video performance as an art has existed well before the partnership with the local house / techno DJ and his wacky band of promoters.

If we're going to have an Oxford University course on this topic, I would hope the history portion is actually communicating fact.

13. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

my original question was based on what i now realise was a typo and having looked further into the Ne1co's clarification and what was meant by that, i dont see anything wrong with the way it is intended.

14. Ne1co

Cheers mate :)

15. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

Oxford in this context is a place, not a university

16. Ulfilas

Ulfilas New Member

If only I'd seen this earlier before I'd booked some meetings...
    Any chance of further dates?