1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vj'ing live in second life

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Bl00dSuGaR, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Bl00dSuGaR

Bl00dSuGaR New Member

in the future we will be making tons of money by throwing party's and charging real money at the door and doing live visuals in second life...LOL!
  2. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

why do "live" anything in a virtual environment? the real money is in writing bots that make it look like your live Vjing in second life when actually your in the pub in first life!
  3. Bokonon

Bokonon SonicSlice

I think this is the most tedious aspect of second life, I was asked to speak at a MMORPG conference at a university on the subject of music in MMORPG's with a heft fee attached, so I said if you like but i know nothing, it was a year away so they said, well if you research it and come back to us then you might have something (seems arse about face, but i think they were cash strapped) and I found nothing of any real interest...I tell a lie, I found one person doing something with music i SL that couldn't be done in real life, and tha was pretty tedious and quite boring:

http://transition.turbulence.org/networked_music_review/2007/12/06/avatar-avant-garde/
  4. skulpture

skulpture www.grahamthorne.co.uk

I don't get second life at all. Its just like a 3D myspace or facebook fused with a platform game. It seems to me that its just a quirky idea that everyone is talking about.

Like, how can you go virtually clubbing? Its impossible! OK, so the sound (music) is present, other people are there (avatar wise) and you can communicate (via text/typing) but the atmosphere, the surroundings, the buzz and the vibe, the true sonic elements, and/or visual elements can not be truly appreciated because at the end of the day the participant is sat in a room, on their arse looking at a TFT screen with a cup of tea on the desk with the cat looking at you from the other side of the room like you're a spanner!

I don't think its the future... maybe if we had full 3D capabilities or some kind of immersive environment, then, yeah it would be fantastic and a total different experience!

I'll shut up now.... :)
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  5. Bl00dSuGaR

Bl00dSuGaR New Member

LOL!!!! you got me beat! but i would add being on video chat while in the pub and faking a live vj performance.
  6. zygo

zygo New Member

very interesting

It's very interesting seeing peoples responses to Second Life.

I'm still unsure on my opinion and plan to test some scenarios within the world to try and establish a more informed opinion and to evaluate the possibilities.

I've always been interested in VR and also since getting into music and visuals I've developed the immersive environment bug (art school didn't help!)!

Based on these things... and that I have to come up with a final year project for uni... I have decided to do 'something' in Second Life as I feel it's the closest thing to VR/immersive environments that anyone (with internet + half decent computer) can access*.

*the anyone can access is key to my concept which is inspired by the internet and it's effect on creativity along side initiatives such as Creative Commons.

I don't really have a clue as to how I'm going to do something of value yet (only entered the world last week!) and I'm still not sure it's possible to achieve anything credible which couldn't be done better in the real world. But experimentation is key to how I work-so that's what I'll do.

I know for sure that I'll use the space to set up an installation of my work where anyone can experience it and get creative with it (creative commons philosophy). Beyond that I'm not sure what's possible other than testing out real world ideas in a no risk simulated world.

I've always felt the live streaming of events over the internet could only ever be seen as a substitute to being there for real. If you're the other side of the world to the event, or stuck ill in bed then amazing!!! but otherwise it'll be like self-torture "oh I could be there-looks amazing". So it's sounding like the internet just feels like T.V. for live events-sit and watch.

How could we improve the live a/v environment in the real world?
    And what about in the internet world?
  7. VJbigfug

VJbigfug Flying Fingers of Fury

I tried to make this work a year or two ago.

The plan was to stream the output from any VJ softs via the fugStreaming plugins to a customised VLC client which would then stream to Second Life, allowing VJ's to charge for doing gigs and the like...

The main problem was compiling VLC, which can't be done with Visual Studio so I chickened out :)

The other issue was (from memory) that the bandwidth actually comes from your end, it's not distributed by SL (they just link in to a URL) so you'd need some kind of distribution center set up if you wanted lots of people to see the video...

Kinda fun idea though...