1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vjing Website FOR SALE

Discussion in 'The Business Side' started by aarondulla, Mar 18, 2012.

1. aarondulla

aarondulla aarondulla

Hi guys and gals.
    OK so in the past year me and a friend decided to create a vjing website. The idea came to me when I realised that apart from Vjforums and Vj central ( my most used websites ) there isnt much in the form of a hub for Vjing. Ive always seen loads of site dedicated to Djing but not the other way around.

So after much planning, coding, developing, editing and hour and hour of work,we finally got the site online. I took care of content and design and my mate took care of the coding.
    The content of the equipment might be a bit out of date now but the idea and site is exactly what I think is needed in the world right now.
    Ive reviewed the some hardware and software and put hours of time into this project, but am afraid I dont have the time for it at the moment.

So we have decided to sell the site. I will post a link to the auction soon when it is set up. Anyone who vjs will understand how needed this kind of site is in the market place. It is a beautiful site with lots of the content already done. Some one just needs to grab it by the horns and make it come to life. We have had it up for over a year now and already have lots of members without any advertising what so ever.

Anyway any thoughts, fee free to add

WWW.VJINGPRO.COM

Aaron

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. fryup

fryup Mike/The Midi Thief

I don't know what you are talking about? There are several local hubs for VJing and VJ Central hasn't been active for a long time. I'm not sure you've done your research right. And I don't see the buying power in the VJ community and not in the commercial sector either since nobody is getting rich selling equipment to VJs. But good luck with your auction, I hope you will laugh all the way to the bank. Sorry for being negative, but I would seriously be happy if you succeed.

3. aarondulla

aarondulla aarondulla

Cheers for your thoughts but I dont think you understand where i am comming from. Im not trying to be the next Mark Zuckerberg. I still to this day cant find a site that deals with all the things we have covered in the site. I was always frustrated with the fact that I could never find a place that i could browse equipment used in the industry to a simple link to articles and such. Have a look around the site and see how many areas we have tryed to cover. The intention wasnt to make a million, the intention was to build something that is needed in the industry today. A place where someone can go for anything vjing. All the blog and site I use have been linked to throughout and have try not to leave any place that I use out of the picture. Ive also link vjforms to it as its a site the people should definitely use to obtain vjing knowledge. The hope for the site was to become a new one stop for vjs.
    www.vjingpro.com

4. fryup

Good to have a link to look at. You have good subjects even if they, as you say, are a bit out of date. And it covers some that vjcentral used to cover. There is however not so much content in it so what you're basically selling is a good structure.
    I still think you will have a hard time to find anyone who would buy such a site. To turn it around: who is your ideal buyer and what do you expect to get?

Sorry for being hard on your ass. I run a local community myself (http://vjunion.se) and I wouldn't dream of selling it. Well if we got an offer we might consider it but I don't see that happening. The subject is however interesting. See it more as constructive critique that might strengthen your idea.

I really like the idea of someone picking up where VJ Central left. What I'm missing is posts about using the equipment, especially the hardware in VJ environments. Tips and tricks, pros and cons. As for now it's a little bit too much focus on ads and kickbacks.

5. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

Websites values are based on their views and active users.

All you have there is a quick wordpress install and some basic content (most of which is copy and pasted from other sites).

It's not difficult to setup a website like that, it is hard to get a user base and to keep the content fresh and relevant.

6. fryup

I agree with Tom regarding having page views and community. And if you extract you guys, the people with the knowledge, your really got nothing but a decent domain name, and the empty shell with a good structure. Those things you can get without buying your site.

7. stickygreen

stickygreen this is my custom title

I've been looking to produce a VJ specific site for my local market, as we currently have a pretty active Facebook group. I want to create a non FB place for the group to exist, but i don't see paying money for this site. You haven't created anything with content, it's just a page layout, and some plug ins, sure it would take time for someone like me to set that up, and time is money, but there is no content, or user base (visible) and that's where value comes in..

If you would be interested in sharing your experiences setting up this site, i'd love to ask questions. But like i said, i doubt i'm a customer. I can use WP with a moderate skill level.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  8. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

More to the point wordpress is a disaster for anything beyond a basic blog.

There are much much better CMSes on the market. Drupal is the answer if you've got the skills and time and need / want flexibility.

9. alfaleader

alfaleader Member

I like joomla the most ;)

It's easy for beginners (lots of modules), but also good for the advanced user because it's very easy to write a module/plugin.

10. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

It's still very limited compared to drupal. But it is faster for basic sites.

11. aarondulla

aarondulla aarondulla

Ok first things first.Sleepytom the site is actually built in Joomla and not Wordpress so don't be so quick of the mark to pass heavy Criticism. The content is taken from other sites as we have tried to compile some of the best info around for the viewer to read. It kinda hard to review something if you have never used it.

The idea was to get as add as much content as we could. Its a massive project and im sure all of you can see as you go through the links. I believe we have done well in creating something with this much info and in one place. It is much more than "quick wordpress install and some basic content (most of which is copy and pasted from other sites)" A fellow Vj should maybe understand the size of this task and share a bit more constructive criticism rather than shooting someone down.

We also have quite a few registered users at present.

12. Tony_Blend

Tony_Blend formerly known as theLABvisuals

Personally, I think the likelyhood of a sale for such a domain name is limited. There as you well know, well known and travelled sites out there (this being the obvious one IMHO), that manage to run without ads, and are regularly moderated and most importantly up to date. The most up to date software post on your site being Resolume 3.3.1!

It seems like it started off as a VJCentral orientated site, that has over time lost focus, and with the domain name renewal coming up is in a bit of a stagnent position.

http://www.webworth.info/site.php?url=http://www.vjingpro.com/&submit=Submit

Website Value : $132.92
    Website Page Views : 61
    Website Daily Ad-Revenue : $0.18
    Alexa Rank : 18,131,093
    Alexa Links in : 1

13. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

Ok I amend my criticism.

All you have done is a quick basic Joomla install - then you have copied and pasted (ie stolen) content from 3rd party websites to flesh out your structure. Even this copy and paste job shows a remarkable lack of insite into the VJ scene as it stands in 2012 (and even as it stood in 2009). I'm allowed to say this, I've earned the right to this opinion, as i've spent more time answering peoples questions on VJing than most people have. I've probably spent more time actually writing original content and answering peoples questions than you've spent on the entire development of VJingPro.com

I perhaps understand the size of the task better than anyone in the world. That's why i'm able to criticise, you really haven't created something of much value, you've done some basic web development and have failed to add value to it. I would give myself pretty much the same critique with VJCentral.com I failed to produce a site which had enough relevance to todays internet and VJ scene for it to be take up by the users, thus the content became increasingly irrelevant, currently it is offline as the content was too lacking to be relevant in todays world and the site wasn't being used much.

Sorry if it sounds like i'm annoyed - I kind of am a bit, you came here at the start of your project and asked people what they thought about your idea of creating the "Biggest VJing Site Ever" and people suggested that you could get more involved with VJCentral instead of going it alone, but you choose to simply take our work as a basis for your own site concept and then produce something with little in the way of original content. Now you return to try and sell the site and your surprised by this reaction?

Really if you think that a joomla + some copy and pasting from manufacturers websites and pixmania.com is actually worth anything then your perhaps just a little deluded?