1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to DO and NOT DO on your FIRST GIG

Discussion in 'Just Starting' started by lifemare, Oct 2, 2007.

1. lifemare

lifemare New Member

Hi all!

I'm an art student who's allways been around computers and has a huge videoteque at home, so it was just a matter of time, before i started out VJing. I was recently invited to work with a band and my head is spinning with ideas i'm not sure i can perform.
    My prob is i don't want to delay my chances of a live gig by staying home studying how to do it, lol! So i began working on ideas wich i can most easily accomplish right now - but even those aren't that simple.
    My fav tool is photoshop, and i draw almost as much as i breathe, so i figured i should combine those skills into this gig. But that's just not good enough, i want to work on top of cycling images, apply fast filters so they kind of animate through simple Actions, maybe play video to fill in gaps between drawings and images by having a media player open.
    Problem is that's a lot of juggling! And i would have to test drive a lot of stuff. Can any one point me in a good direction? What would be the best choice for a first gig?

[working on a XP laptop + wacom tablet + projector + no DV Cam]

2. john01

john01 5 quids worth of italics

I think you could try creating animations from your images in After Effects and export them as movies.

Or use modul8, which allows you to manipulate stills real time.

3. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

what not to do? shag the client.

4. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

Even more important.....Dont let the client shag you :biggrin:

5. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

When gigging, bring a friend (who you trust) to look after your kit whilst you piss or whatever else.

6. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

unless you have it in your rider

7. complexvisuals

complexvisuals Eye Squared

Dont get drunk on first night, wait a while.

8. vjrei

vjrei Miami Caracas New York

So many things... I skip this thread.

9. lifemare

lifemare New Member

thanks for the input ev1!

After reading a lot of threads around here, i think i have a better idea of what to do and how to do it. Some stuff left unanswered though if you have the time to help with:

1 - What's the best free app to render real-time multiple videos with luma or chroma keying and/or other filters and effects without need for sound out/input? Can the job be done by a P4 3GHz XP machine at 1GB RAM with ati radeon 9550 256MB?
    2 - Is there any software that helps deliver powerful graphics through tablet drawing (some kind of algorithm like SuperDraw's), or maybe use it as it were a midi input?
    3 - I also need to incorporate animated text on my vj session. Can i do something with resolume, or would you advice something else to apply instant effects to static text?
    4 - If i decide to vj with photoshop, is there some place i can look for tips and advices on what works best?
    5 - What is the meaning of life?

10. makemassair

11. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

1 - What's the best free app to render real-time multiple videos with luma or chroma keying and/or other filters and effects without need for sound out/input?
    Best off chroma/luma keying with a hardware video mixer - it means your hands on the dial working the key live while your backgrounds vary.
    1a)Can the job be done by a P4 3GHz XP machine at 1GB RAM with ati radeon 9550 256MB?
    No problem, the amount of effects/channels/clips you have loaded will vary the performance
    2 - Is there any software that helps deliver powerful graphics through tablet drawing (some kind of algorithm like SuperDraw's), or maybe use it as it were a midi input?
    Not really, although some vj software like flowmotion has a nifty mouse scratch feature, although not really useful imho.
    3 - I also need to incorporate animated text on my vj session. Can i do something with resolume, or would you advice something else to apply instant effects to static text?
    Easier and nice to do it before hand.
    4 - If i decide to vj with photoshop, is there some place i can look for tips and advices on what works best?
    What do you mean? Are you using pshop to draw live? hmmmm... have you considered recording the output - speeding up a bit and simply mixing the clip live? I guess really the only advice you need is to run in full screen output.
    5 - What is the meaning of life?
    Life is by default. There is no meaning beyond being.

12. MrJustin

MrJustin I've given money to VJForums

In answer to Q3.

also look at dynamic flash files if you want to be doing this... resolume allows to to manipulate the variabled of the dynamic flash file in realtime, so you get the best of both worlds... planning how you want it to look before hand, and choosing what is says and how it behaves when performing live.

13. gpvillamil

gpvillamil New Member

You should check out the work of Shantell Martin (http://www.shantellmartin.com/index.php), she's an illustrator who does a lot of live VJing using sketching.

She uses a bunch of techniques, here are some - one: point a camera down at a sheet of paper while she draws, and use that as a live feed into a mixer or VJ soft; two: use a program like Superpaint (?) in fullscreen mode.

She played with some friends of mine in Tokyo, here is a video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gwRniiyQVK0

The white-on-black video was drawn by her live.

14. lifemare

lifemare New Member

That's cool. Thx 4 the link!
    Though my drawing style is totally different, my sketching session needs to be a lot more dynamic and it would be great if the line had more eye-candy than that. I mean, if you can do a plugin for winamp to react to sound, what's keeping you from doing something cool to react to a tablet (in my case programming illiteracy)? Doesn't it just suck there's such a huge hole in the live-drawing act resources?

15. lifemare

lifemare New Member

Thx for the help. But doesn't that go against the whole spirit of it? I mean, i got some experience with editing, made some movies of my own for art school and all, so when i was first invited to VJ that was my approach too - pile up every decent footage i had and just cut and paste away enough to make a playlist for the gig. But what's the point of that? The way i see it i'm another member of the band. I gotta work with them just like i was on stage playing a guitar. And they play like it's a jam session!

I really can't plan on when and how to pop-up the text, it would be nice to know i could do it whenever i want using one or two options to my taste on a decent software. Same thing with the images, i'll have them ready to use when and if the appropriate musical setting should occur, it would be a lot less reliable to have them all glued together in a fixed sequence to realize later that it doesn't flow with the songs...

16. john01

john01 5 quids worth of italics

The art is in predicting what comes next, so yeah, it is like jamming, I used to play a lot of blues when I was a kid and I see VJing as similar, going with the flow, feeling what comes next.

However the advantage of preparing material is you can refine it and check it, live painting on a screen might be interesting for a while, but it may also become a little irritating, possibly a bit random, you might be having a great time, the customers might be thinking it's a load of dross. It often pays to take a break from your work, and look at it in the cold light of day. Sometimes you realise were just disappearing up your own asshole, what you thought was really great was actually a total mess.

So perhaps you should create a library of stuff you are familiar with, and juxtapose it with live stuff, you might try using an OHP (Over Head Projector). Things like this are best kept short and sweet, you have to remember a club is a social space for the customers to interact with each other, not a showcase for your ego.

Maybe you could call yourself VJ Rolf Harris.

I'm not trying to be nasty here, I've seen these kinds of things done and they work best as a performance of no more than 20 minutes.

17. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

Exactly - the art is in the mixing itself. Most vj software have live text generators (See sofwarevj.com). But often they're pretty ordinary. Unless you want to switch over to textmachine3d just to add text of course.

18. lifemare

lifemare New Member

john, man! No need to get agravated just cause i kind of disagreed with you... i hope you can apreciate a sane discussion about this topic just as i appreciate you taking the time to answer to my questions.
    My ego is not the issue, the only arrogant statement you'll ever hear from me is that i'm the humblest person around! lol!

I understand the benefits of prepping stuff for a gig, i'm not crazy.
    Of course i'll have to reach a compromise between the raw playback and the live jamming, of course i'll have to test stuff up before hand, have a backup plan for when shit happens, rehearse my act with the band and all that. But that's something i want to be as short as possible. Like i said: i don't have a lot of time to be creating stuff left and right. Of wich, with my inexperience, i may find it serves me no good. That's why i could use your help, telling me what would be the most imediate solutions to get an upcoming gig going. Otherwise i'll end up spending more time in the lab than i have to spare and overlooking all the other stuff that needs to be done. Sorry if i wasn't clear about that before.

Regarding the text itself, maybe i should explain better: the band i'm with has a strong theatrical influence and is currently working around carmina burana texts, Cesariny's, John Clarke's, etc. They suggested i screened some verses from those authors, wich makes perfect sense. So i'm not too worried about great looking 3d rotating effects, some flashes of bold letters with a zoom in effect would work just fine (like maybe Jeny Holzer's truisms for the u2 tour). more is less.
    I just haven't tried resolume yet, so i wouldn't know if it can do that. I've installed the 2.41 version but for some reason it freezes on the initial splash screen...

19. lifemare

lifemare New Member

Looks cool asterix! I'm gonna give it a go! Thanks!

20. Gumby

Gumby I've given money to VJForums

Don't forget your gear before you go to or after you leave the gig
    hahaha

21. makemassair

Yea or your laptop power supply. (whoops)

22. ststephen65

ststephen65 world wanderer

wow, i love this concept. live drawing/painting must be a popular thing in japan. theres usually a live painter at the shows i go to here in okinawa

23. ststephen65

ststephen65 world wanderer

:yep:

24. many2

many2 Active Member

make it slow - that is my advice. I am tired of seeing VJ sets where the image is flashing rather than flowing. A slower speed will also help you spread your content over a longer performance time, which is rather useful at the beginning because you clip bank is smaller.

25. matthecat

matthecat the cat sat on mat

do get drunk

dont take acid

26. WordVirus23

WordVirus23 NoInput is Detected