1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats the max resolution for Ipad2 content

Discussion in 'Creating Content' started by RayV, Mar 2, 2012.

1. RayV

RayV =] ++ [=

Hey everyone.

does anybody here produced already content for Ipad2 ?
    and could you re-assure what is the maximum comp resolution?

i know Ipad 3 is due next week,i think,
    so i might have to wait and see whats the largest resolution i can work with,

however i did search creative cow forums and others
    and couldn't find a definite answer.

Thanks x

2. stickygreen

stickygreen this is my custom title

didn't Ipad 2 just come out!

damn apple...

3. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

the screen is 1024x768 pixels. It's processor may or may not cope with h264 decoding at that resolution.

4. RayV

RayV =] ++ [=

i thought it can pull HD from some reason, i already new it's 1024x768 but i thought it could do better ;) didn't find any official confirmation though
    thanks [AGAIN!] Tom xxx :)

5. lightandshadow

lightandshadow New Member

In addition to the internal screen, you can connect an iPad 2 to an external display via HDMI to play back video up to 720 and display OpenGL content, 2D graphics, etc., at 1080p.

IIRC, you can push 720p to an external display using Apple's VGA adaptor.

So, you can drive external displays with the iPad 2 at up to 1080p, but video playback is limited to 720p.

The iPad 3 will have an internal resolution of 2048 x 1536. Given the res of the internal screen, it's likely to support 1080p video playback both internally and externally.

I'd also note the iPhone 4/4s shares the same support for external displays over VGA and HDMI as the iPad 2. For example, I've used an iPhone 4 to drive an LED wall at a gig.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  6. johnnylocust

johnnylocust R3dN3cK \/_/

Hi RayV! The iOS video architecture is in inexorably tied to the openGL es 2 spec. Regardless of what the iPad 3 may be, the max size that it can handle with it's gpu is 2048x2048. That's hard coded via Khronos's specs, and Apple has made very few addendums to it. One odd thing I've found about the A5 architecture is that it has a very powerful hardware based h.264 avc video encoder, but all audio encoding is done through the GPU. Long story short, if you want to peak out the throughput, ditch the audio.

Luv ya!
    JL

7. lightandshadow

lightandshadow New Member

New GL benchmarks for the new iPad can be found here.

The GL environment tab indicates the maximum textures size is 4096 pixels.