1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

white bed sheets

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by 6071842, Sep 19, 2006.

1. 6071842

6071842 I've given money to VJForums

could these be used as a screen, silly question but ive never had the chance to test it out. cheers!!! :eek:

2. stulloyd

stulloyd Sometime Vj

Hiya 65454012136546845645123 (whatever)

Yeah, but make sure you fireproof them!!

I started out using bed sheets (and carrying an iron!)

It's probably as cheap to buy some spandex or Lycra though, and you will have more fun projecting on a larger 'canvas' than a king size.

Other things to try are, white walls!, muslin or gauze (multilayered for a more 3d effect) Or bite the bullet and buy a fastfold screen.

Look at the thread below this one for custom screens and materials.

stu

3. asterix

asterix IMAGINEER

I just used a bedsheet on the weekend. We were going to project onto a banyan tree but the 3k beamers really didn't bring it up that well - so the sheet was a good backup when you're 150k's from town.
    I honestly don't have a problem with them, as long as they're correctly weighted down to reduce the wind stress - they're gold!

4. 6071842

Nice one

bed sheets it is. and here was me thinking that you's would have laughed! thanks guys!!! :cheers:

5. johnnylocust

johnnylocust R3dN3cK \/_/

Nah. I was on my way to the fabric store once to find something usefull for green screening. My friend told me to go to the local thrift stores because they often have unused pieces of fabric. Lo and behold, in a mountain of cloth was several yards of the most heinous shiny neon green polyester ever. It turned out to be absolutely perfect for what I needed and it only cost 2 dollars. Plus, I spared some poor color blind woman from making a frock out of it. :lol2:

6. 6071842

i dont feel as bad now. and you done a good deed man! and you got a bargain. am off to get some sheets!!! :lol2:

7. evomedia

evomedia Control Freaks

I use bannergrade backlit PVC for the past few years, its used for backlit posters in bus stops etc. Its cheap, fireproof and has excellent pass through as its designed for printed graphics to be illuminated from behind, when you see it you think this is too thick for rear projection but as soon as you put a beamer on it you get almost as good an image on both sides, compared to normal banner grade PVC the difference is vast, so for rear projection it great and is perfect for front projection too, it feels really sturdy and you do not get burnout spots from the beamer. Plus comes in up to 4m widths. Was my secret material, but I've just spilled the beans...

Alot of people have been using bannergrade PVC but don't know anyone apart from us thats using the stuff for backlit posters. Contact your local screenprinters, thats what we did, and you may find they have offcuts. We got a few 4m x 3m size screens for free.Its also wipe clean :)

We also find that the screen printers will sell us the stuff at ?4 per m and also put in cater strips and eyelets for us.

8. RP

RP New Member

hey evomedia, neat idea!
    what are cater strips?

thanks,
    phil

9. evomedia

evomedia Control Freaks

Posh name for stitched edging or a black border

10. RP

RP New Member

:)

Thanks for the explanation!

Phil

11. REBELOVERLAY

REBELOVERLAY New Member

looking to source three 8ftx6ft pieces of this, hemmed with eyelets. from what you were saying evo i was kinda hoping i'd be able to find some pretty damn cheap but i'm getting quotes ranging from £200 to £90, and the cheapest was through a friend of a friends shop. and that cheapest quote could only offer 8ftx5ft

anyone have any friendly sources for this, or put me in touch with someone who might be nice enough to do it any cheaper?