1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does nearly every one use the VJ title in there stage name

Discussion in 'Talk with VJs' started by KidKadian, Dec 13, 2006.

1. KidKadian

KidKadian New Member

Ok i have a question?

why does every VJ i meet use the surname VJ in there title.

i mean like VJ Gumbo, VJ anyone, VJ "fill in the blank"

I know it sounds like a silly rant but it is like the whole DJ thing and the 80 and early 90's every one was dj this or dj that. But that passed now the only time i hear someone refer to themself as a DJ-something is on the radio. i just think we have moved to a point that people know what VJs are so we don't need to include it into our stage names. I never used the VJ title in my stage name but i also make music. Moreover i see myself as more than a VJ, more like a artist.

i was wondering if any one else feels this way and/or have noticed this.

btw. i am picking on you guys ( VJ gumbo or VJ anyone ) youwere the jsut the first two to pop into my mind.

2. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

its so they can take loads of LSD at work and still remember what they are supposed to be doing.

3. Brinkman

Brinkman New Member

I don't use the VJ title at all personally . . . it reminds me of the douchebags on MTV that announce music videos.

I prefer to be called a visual artist to be honest.

When my name goes on a flyer it usually says something like this:

LIVE VISUALS BY BRINKMAN

4. SteveG

SteveG Downstairs for Dancing

:lol2: .....Quite simple, appart form the LSD thing :roll: , others (promoters, DJ's etc) actually started adding the VJ to my name as they all then knew who they were talking about. There's atleast 3 DJ's that use SteveG and at least one Stevie G doing the rounds in clubland UK...but only one VJ SteveG in the UK ;) I didnt want to take a name such as $^&**(! as the idea just didnt appeal to me :zzz:

5. matthecat

matthecat the cat sat on mat

:D

6. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

I've never used either DJ or VJ on myself and I make this clear to the event where I've been put on the flyer. Other than spelling deviant wrong I've had no problems.

7. dansmachine

dansmachine Video. Performance. Art.

In 1996 when I got my first flyer-announcement, I put 'vj' in front of my artist-name (stalker) to distinguish myself from the dj's. After a while everyone got used to 'vj stalker' so there was no need to change that over the years.

8. 2cool4school

2cool4school New Member

Ditto. :yep:

9. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

It's like DR or MRS. Some people just like to have a title.

10. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

i use VJ to differentiate myself from the DJ's. yes in an ideal world it will always say something like "live visuals by..." on the flyer, but unfortunately this is the real world and im not gonna pay for the reprinting of flyers everytime it doesnt have somethig like that on it. There are still to many occurances or people coming up and asking me for tunes, even though i have a load of graphics equipment in front of me to believe that everyone knows what a VJ is.

personally i have more issues with calling myself a "visual artist" as i see it as slightly pretentious - surely the audience should decide if your an artist or not.

the MTV vj connitation is also realy not as strong here in the UK as it is in the US, but having said that vj's in the visual projections sense existed before mtv, so why should i not use it just because another area is now using the same abreviation.

but when it comes down to it, whats the problem with letting the audience know exactly what they are getting?

11. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

double post madness

12. USE

USE Primal Visions

i have this problem when people ask me what i do...if i say "i do visuals for clubnights" people give me a sneer and go "so you're a VJ then." like i dont know the term.

but if i say "im a VJ" people always give me a blank look, i explain, and then they say "no-one knows what a VJ is, it would be less pretentious and clearer if you said you do visuals for clubnights"

damned if you do, damned if you dont....

13. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

heh heh. sad but true.

14. 2cool4school

2cool4school New Member

And surely the audience can decide whether or not someone can DJ, yet they still stick "DJ" on flyers. Contadiction.

15. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

sorry, but in my opinion dj or vj is direct description of what they are doing whereas artist is a subjective term.

16. videoswitchboard

videoswitchboard Pointless Crew-Glasgow

so why is there a difference between "Live Set" and "DJ set" when applied to audio (booking agents are really strict about this kind of thing) when there is no distinction for "someone who does visuals" as they might have produced all the content themselves OR could be playing content that somebody else has created?

:shrug:
    dav

17. holly

holly WetCircuit.com

Idunno. Maybe because I live in NYC, but the term "artist" seems a little overused and too often synonymous with "amateur". At one time you actually had to go to an academy (THE Academy in Paris) to call yourself an artist. It meant you knew what you were talking about. Nowadays in the post-PhotoShop-era everyone with a laptop considers himself an artist....

Here in my local scene, there are PLENTY of people who call themselves artists and only a few who would call themselves VJs. VJing is a dirty word, like club entertainer. Artist is a dry word that means there are no beats and the visual subject is rather navel-gazy.

18. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

i understand what you are saying here,and i agree, there should be a different way of terming self made and sourced vj sets.

the bit you quoted me on however,was a reply to 2cool4school's comment that the crowd can decide wether someone can dj or not. what i meant was even if they are awfull, they are still a dj - ie, its determined by what they are doing not how the crowd percieves thier work, whereas saying you are an artist is a subjective point of view.

19. 6071842

6071842 I've given money to VJForums

amen! same happens here. whats a VJ? google it! :roll:

20. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

maybe this is just a geographical thing,i play in london a lot and all the punters there seem to know what a VJ is. im surprised about Use's experiences, i thought you were down in Brighton and my personal experience in brighton is that the crowd can be very vj savy (maybe those comments werent from brighton punters) - ive had very interesting questions and comments from non vj's in the audience about software, freeframe plugins and so on.

21. USE

USE Primal Visions

i wouldnt say all of any audience ive played for knows what a vj is from my experiences. i spose it depends on the event. at the a/v social i imagine everyone knows whats going on, but at your average clubnight half the people are retards and barely know that sound comes out of speakers. especially house music fans.

theres always a few knowledgable people at parties, but i find when i get chatting to random caners they know bugger all about what im doing and asume its a dvd.

people in london re genrally less likely to admit ignorance on any subject in my book, so that may have something to do with it as well.

the worst is if you bother explaining it to someone and then leave it on auto to get a drink and then they come up behind you and are all "aha! i knew you weren't doing it live, you blagger". :sigh:

22. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

yeah, fair comment, it probably does depend on the event, but ive always had good experiences in brighton - did a few with spank for the Checkout crew and done the zap club and concorde2 a few times too all of which ive had good chats with the crowd.

23. bryandod

bryandod Integrated Visions

:nod: :nod: :nod: yep, I just write myself a note on my hand to remind myself that I am VJing, but this is a good idea also. JK

24. VGA

VGA ...

>> Ok i have a question?

Er, like, yeah man?
    Do you have a question?

>> why does every VJ i meet use the surname VJ in there title.

Oh you do got a question after all.

Try this "VJ SpanK" - "VJ" = Spank

>> spank for the Checkout crew and done the zap club and concorde2 a few

Well rape my grandmother with a splintered broom handle.

Well I'm gonna go down the pub to meet Kid Vector, where we will listen to Kid Koala and Kid Kenobi and take LSD.

25. deepvisual

deepvisual visually challenged

yes.
    lets all drop more acid and remember what we do this for.

26. vjair

vjair Making Shapes

errrr....im not sure if thats wanting a reply or not....now wheres that bottle of liquid gone....

27. makemassair

makemassair makemassair.co.uk

liquid lsd? i'm free in about 5mins. find a bikeshed.

on topic the point about a DJ doing a DJ thing and the artist thing being a percieved thing I do agree with. (jesus my grammer is bad when I get to work)

anyways. I personally don't like calling myself a VJ as I don't feel what I'm trying to do is VJing. Yea it's an easier label to put on yourself to explain to people. I generally say to folk I do video visuals in clubs (as I've yet to do visuals outside of the club environment. I want to but nothing has come up yet)

I would say I am an artist in respect of my short films (trailer/showreel of which is now on my myspace, link below). I wouldn't say I'm an artist (yet?!) in the field of VJing/video visuals as personally my visuals are still relatively random. To be considered that of an artist it needs some kind of substance, maybe more of a narrative to it maybe.

I've been put on flyers as 'deviant (VJ set)' (I DJ under the same name) and as 'visuals by deviant' but that can imply I'm doing decor as well, which I am and I'm not.

Urgh. I'm starting to fry my brains now. I think VJ is more acceptable in the UK as already pointed out as the MTV VJ thing isn't really noticed over here.

veejay is UBERGHEY and folk using this title should be killed on site.

28. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

I have a question...

why the fuckity fuck fuck does anyone* give a fuck?

Vj / visual by / vidiot / whatever...

this thread is lame - its like listening to a bunch of homosexuals discussing if they want to be called gays / poofs / queers / bum bandits or not...

surely people ask to be billed as whatever they think is best for them? don't wan to be called VJ? ask for some thing different then...

*anybody not VJne1

29. sleepytom

sleepytom VJF Admin

now who's got that liquid?

30. 2cool4school

2cool4school New Member

How about "stuff to look at by person or persons" by....
    That's "slabpp" for short.