1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Words from the woods.

Discussion in 'AVIT Retreat' started by KillingFrenzy, Jun 16, 2005.

1. KillingFrenzy

KillingFrenzy KillingFrenzy Visuals

Well, there's a forum for future and past avits, but we're present, so I guess I'll just post here.

I got here early and have watched people show up each day. Lots of cool folks and each one from a different direction.
    Internet access has been slower and slower as there are at least 9 laptops buzzing around here, and we're on the side of a frickin' mountain. Amazing we get internet at all.
    PixyLight has been a peach, working night and day to get us all here and situated, and set up the big hex dome. Its well and going, and tonight should be our big test night.
    We've been trading clips and trading stories. Funny that almost every person uses a different program. Which is great, because we been giving each other walk-thrus of Resolume, Pilgrim, Max/Jitter, Modul8, Tranzendent and lots of Aftereffects talk.
    We've also been exploring the local environs and shooting footage. Hiking adventures, a trip to Wolf Rescue, and a trip to the local Hot Springs, as well as a big fat lightning storm last night.
    The first night I got here it SNOWED, so we're definitely on the side of a mountain. Those of us from sea level can definitely feel the difference between 0 and 9,000 feet. We're right across from Pike's peak, and the air up here is clear and thin, the stars unhindered by city lights.
    Big ups to everyone involved in getting things organized and making this retreat happen. Getting to live and breath with people and make connections in person is an invaluable part of creating community.
  2. bryandod

bryandod Integrated Visions

avit pics

from left to right:
    Leo (killing frenzy, Gian Pablo, and Starr Wright
  3. bryandod

avit pics

the studio

pixey light, killing frenzy, arkhtype, no input, gian pablo, starr wright working off of solar power. completely off the grid.
  4. RayV

RayV =] ++ [=

- where the 2nd picture?

i am looking forward to see the dome pics!
    good luck to u all out there :)
  5. WordVirus23

WordVirus23 NoInput is Detected

Notes from nearly nowhere

IF YOU'RE COMING:
    Do not reset your trip odometer after the initial reset @ Hwy 24 W.

Bring extention cords.

Get here early.

Get on the road.

It's beautiful up here.

.......the dome/stage/screen is amazing, Archetype has a pimp HD camera, everyone's way cool... even the dog! :)

..james...
  6. vjpixylight

vjpixylight AKA Will O' The Wisp

Thanks to all!

what a fricken great group of ppl to have worked with this past week!
    VJ's and VJing is getting truely amazing!

Some of the highlites for me with the VJ's work @ the retreat, have been Bryan and Michelles awesome luma masked worm shapped visuals that flew around the dome like a dragon, and SketchyJ's total VJ performance, (helmet and all)

I promise we will get vid hilites and pics up very soon!

Cheers:yep:
  7. VJFranzK

VJFranzK AreYouDreamingRightNow?

yeah, i'd like to see how it went. :)
  8. vjpixylight

now that the Happy Ass dust has settled...

...skippy Bin Laden(the yippie that made the HAR available) was soo impressed with the VJ's that were here, that he has given the OK to do this all again next year!

I must say that the level of cooperation from Integrated Visuals, No Input, Killing Frenzy, I/O, VJ Pablo, JaneDaPain, VJ Archetype, SketchyJ, Levlhed, and the others involved, was truely tops!!
    I couldn't have asked for a better group of artists!!

Unfortunately, due to power problems early in the evening of the showcase, I was unable to get the PTV stream going, and must apologize to those who tried to tune in..
    However, We shot at least 6 hours of HDV of the showcase, interviews, and ranch/retreat footage, that there will be assimulated into the first AVit Retreat Documentary, and will most likely be realeased as a DVD, that will be available soon @ VJC/VJF..

I would really like to give big shouts out to Leo(AKA Killing Frenzy) for making an awesome Max/Jitter Hex patch, that just worked perfect for the Hexagonal layout of the screens we used in the dome..
    He has said that he will make a standalone app, that will use the patch, for anyone interested in connecting into "Hexagonalism", and making custom hex-screen visuals!!

I would encourage all that want to break out of the 4x3 box to seriously take a look at using KF's patch!!

He has made it a bit like a hex-matrix, with the ability to input visual streams from a variety of sources, that can play on any or all of the 6 hex-screens that make up the hex-cluster(see pics), which made it possible to output several VJ's output at once!

So...Once again, Thanks to all the dedicated VJ's that did this retreat for the pure and unadultred love of this craft!!

Special props go out to Gian (VJ Pablo) for making it here all the way from Tokyo, and his sharing of all the excelent Tokyo footage he has..Your a STAR!!
  9. vjTranceKoder

vjTranceKoder AVPA is the only way

10. bryandod

just returned from CO

from an amazing week at the
    Avit retreat. Vj Pixeylight organized the most amazing retreat I could imagine. The Happy Ass Ranch was great, completely off the grid, but Wi-fi is pumped throughout the camp. Skip, the host, was as generous as he could be. He even arranged to have hot meals prepared daily for retreaters. This allowed us to concentrate on vj stuff. The dome was amazing (Killing Frenzys Max patch was the icing on the cake.) The night we cranked up the dome, I had the most amazing night of my vjing life. Amazing visuals were surrounding me from all directions.

All of the vjs involved were amazing to meet. It was really refreshing to meet so many other people who love their art as much as I do. Everyone was very eager to share their tricks and footage, the sense of community was incredible.

Thanks again to Pixeylight and skip for hosting this retreat. You are really amazing.

Bryan
    Integrated Visions Productions
  11. gpvillamil

gpvillamil New Member

An amazing week! I learned an immense amount from everyone, enough to keep me busy for a long time. I am so grateful to be part of this emerging community!

I have put my pictures online here:

http://public.fotki.com/gpvillamil/avit_retreat_2005/

Big, big thanks to Jim, Skip, Beth, Cheryl and the rest of the ranch crew for making us feel so welcome!
  12. vjTranceKoder

13. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

hey guys, those are some great pics and movies...thanks for posting them....sorry i don't have any good ones to post, my "photographer" dropped the ball lol.....
    it was really cool meeting some other VJs....you guys are the first VJs i've ever met!
    thanks again to pixy for all the accomodations! i will see you next week at apogaea...
    sketchyJ
  14. WordVirus23

WordVirus23 NoInput is Detected

excellent times...

I had an amazing time... collaboration like that just doesn't happen very often, and the results were amazing....

oh, and the dome has been completely changed inside... it's full of couches and comfy chairs now, in preparation for it being the chill-out lounge :)
    <puts on his smoking jacket>

..james...

15. vjpixylight

Re: just returned from CO

Yea Skip was truely in awe of what "we" all pulled off!
    ...and that is to say, that he hasn't seen a few things in his life...from being at the original "woodstock", and playing a role in 60's "political action commitees"(PACs, well b4 that was a term) like the Yippees
    :jump:
  16. RayV

RayV =] ++ [=

more pics please

whare are your pics, pics - see ???
  17. vjpixylight

Still on Archetypes Nikon:(

I still haven't even seen the pic-see shots from the tree I climbed to get the "birds-eye" view, which is that narley tree(in one of Dallas pics)that was next to the dome..
    I'll have to wait till this weekend to see them and get them up..
    Hey and Bryan, I am curious about the footage that you have from the tree? could you put a short snippet of it online??
    :cheers:
  18. vjnixmix

vjnixmix Video Mixin' Vixen

Great Job Guys!

I'm so bummed I couldn't make it. It's good to see the pics though and I'd love to get some of the footage. Pixy I'll be in touch about that.

Thanks everyone for your hard work and your effort!
  19. vjpixylight

We missed you Nix!

It sure would have been nice to have your smilin face @ the retreat miss nix!

The HDV footage editing process will be
    headed by both Bryan and Michelle(Integrated Visuals) and Doug(Archetype), primarily as Bryan has the HDV footage digitized on his computer now, and Doug has access to the HDV cam and proper editing facilities..
    All the standard DV footage will most likely thrown on a DVD, and sent out to all the AVit affiliates and groups..

Nix, If you want the DV footage, send me a few DV tapes, and I'll dub you off copies!:)
  20. vjTranceKoder

pixy and friends..

an idea i had last night about how we could get all our DV tapes from the trip circulated and copied..
    This is how it could be done:
    1. Each person make copies of the tapes they captured, raw or edited (in Bryans case 28 tapes is a bit much, so he said he'll be editing his-in my case I have only 4 tapes so mine will be raw).
    2. Each person receives a list of every other person that wants to share footage (limited now anyway to those that attended) with their full address and telephone number. The list will be circular, meaning that the tapes will be shipped in order so that no one person receives two bundles of tapes at the same time.
    3. Now, the masters are still with the original owners and the DV copies are being circulated. The last person in the loop gets to keep the copies. As the tapes are circulated we all make our own copies of the tapes and footage we want from each set-so we would each buy our own tapes.
    4. In the end all footage should complete the loop (granted that everyone will stay on the ball and get there bundled tapes copied and shipped back out to the next person) and everyone will have everyone else's footage from the retreat in high rez format.

Thoughts? Input? Ideas? I will be willing to focalize the effort if everyone will PM me their addy and phone#.
  21. vjpixylight

nice idea mate!

kinda like doing a video chain mailing!
    Why don't you head this Dallas, compile the addy's and list of who sends what to who, and get this rolling..

The one thing tho that not all of those involved might have is a dubing DV deck/cam..
    The HDV could also be digitized and dumped to data DVD'(s) so as to get a collaborative and different edit that might normally be achieved with one or 2 editors..
  22. vjTranceKoder

Nice one! I will gladly head up the project.

I think doug should down convert the HD to DV and put that in the loop. It looks like in a couple of weeks we can start the process. Bryan & Michelle have already imported a lot of footage and plan to export the edits out to DV for the loop. I have 4 tapes I will edit down as well. We need to keep ALL the footage DV and cleaning up the raw footage is your decision. Of coarse if we all clean our footage and re-export to DV tape everyone's life will be much easier.

Anyone who has footage please let me know so I can get you on the list!!

If anyone that wants footage DOES NOT have a DV cam/deck please PM me.
  23. bryandod

hd footage

one problem we are going to run into when editing the dome footage is that the HD footage was shot in 16:9 while the SD footage was mostly shot in 4:3 . This makes it really hard to mix this footage into one project. It may be better to pick one aspect ratio and use the footage shot in that aspect ratio. Does anybody have any iother ideas? Did anybody else shoot 16:9 footage of the dome?

btw. I am currently trying to get some dome footage out to you guys. Just waiting for my lappy to render.

Bryan
    Integrated Visions
  24. sketchyj

sketchyj New Member

Re: excellent times...

does that mean that the dome will not be available for VJ use at Apogaea? i was thinking about going back since pixy said i could
    VJ at Apogaea....do i need my own power/screens...do you know?

Hey Sketchy,
    the dome will certainly be open for you to do your show, but just more comfortable!
    James had a good idea to used the couches and coffee-type table to use for our rigs, so as we can lounge and VJ:)

we won't be pumping the psy-trance, but will be doing alot more laid back sound/sampling and noisz experimental VJing I'm sure..(of course we will get this all on HDV as well)

So no worries mate, just bring your rig!
    we will have Lev, James, Doug, You and myself VJing thruout the weekend, plus those VJ's that just happen to drop in.
    There will also be other stages with their own visuals, that I am sure would let any of us do a set.
    -Pix
  25. vjpixylight

That was the thing I guess we should have figured out b4 shooting:) I think we should keep it 9x16, even if we have to letterbox the 4x3.
    The other option for getting the HDV into standard 4x3 DV would be to have Doug dub off all the HDV to standard DV, and in 4x3, but I would rather see the 9x16 kept as the format.

I would hope that whatever we get edited, could be shown to potential underwriter's(for art grants) so as to continue AVit retreats, which could be used by those planing a retreat where they live and VJ..
    To me it seems very important to keep this grass roots.
    I think that one thing the Retreat did best, was to prove that the DIY VJ attitude can produce amazing results, and, the fact that it was truely a non-commercial event, organized by VJ's, for VJ's. I really loved the fact that we didn't see the tradition VJ type convention that has to sell edirol and M-Audio gear to do the event..
  26. gpvillamil

gpvillamil New Member

What is all this talk of 16:9 and 4:3?

Everything should be rendered to hexagons!
  27. vjpixylight

yea I was thinking that while writing the other:)
    So, to do this,the hexagons should be configured to try and fit the 16:9 shape...

Just edited to add:
    if KF can make his max/jitter patch to add 3 hexagons on each side of the center hex-star, that would maskout a 16:9 shape quite well...
    We could also just mask the final edit(s) with that same hex-config for the presentational piece..

I think for now, we should still get all the footage to 16:9, and mini DV at SD rez, to get everyone involved with the project footage to edit, and then work the hexagons again..
  28. bryandod

why would you make the final output in hexagons? The HD footage shows 3 hexagon screens at once, but if you cropped this at all, you miss the point of using the fisheye lens. I think that cropping the footage to hexagons would severly cut down on the quality of the compositions. I think that we should stick to 16:9 for everything. The hexagon idea is clearly represented in the footage. cropping it will illiminate the dome feeling of the footage. Just a thought.

Bryan
  29. vjpixylight

yea true true...,
    maybe a combo of regular 16:9 for the live fisheye footage of the hex-screens, with all the non-fisheye (interviews and regular mini DV footage) masked as I have outlined above...
    We certainly what to keep the theme of "hexagonalism" apparent in the edits.

Unfortunately, the HDV tapes are not recognised by regular Mini DV cams, so the only way to get the HDV footage to everyone is either firewire/usb harddrives or a number of date DVD's..
    B,
    what was the size of 60 min HDV on your harddrive? how much can we get of HDV capture on a standard DVD?
  30. vjpixylight

Hey I just realized that Archetype can probly get the mini DV footage we gather up-converted to HDV format where he is working!
    if so, we should all make the SDV cropped to 16:9 without a doubt, then upconvert the final edit..??