1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you mind answering a few questions please?

Discussion in 'Talk with VJs' started by jr2h, Oct 21, 2010.

1. jr2h

jr2h New Member

Hello VJ's.

I am writing my dissertation this year on future developments for VJ's artistically as well as technologically and financially. I would like to get a sense of the 'state of the art' currently from professionals and amateurs alike.

Here is a link to Survey Monkey where they are. I dont need essays back but please be frank and honest.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KV77B75

Thanks in anticipation!

James
    :cool:
  2. unjulation

unjulation Moderator

done :) hope its not to much of an "unj rant" ;)
  3. devonmiles

devonmiles Midi: the language of God

sorry for being overly aggressive :rolleyes:
  4. Daxx

Daxx New Member

Done, hope it's of any use to you!
  5. Tony_Blend

Tony_Blend formerly known as theLABvisuals

I imagine the money questions have a similar spectrum of answers ... All present and correct James.
  6. PCProject

PCProject Moderator

He missed the joke when my final comment on q9 was "are you a promoter"
  7. unjulation

unjulation Moderator

would it be posiable to read the results - bot of the end disatation and the questionerair - if peeps dont mind that is?
  8. jr2h

jr2h New Member

Wow, many thanks for the responses so far (9). I dont mind aggression in the answers. I know its a little provocative but I want honesty from your prospective. The way I see it, many club VJ's are in a bit of an artistic hinterland and I want to know why you think that is.

I should have mentioned earlier, that all answers will be treated in the strictest confidence as per my universities ethical guidelines. I'm sure I can post the results at a later date if I dont publish the names of the people who have been kind enough to answer. As for the dissertation itself, I would be happy to put that in the public domain and will be back to tell you where you can view it come May 2011 when it will be complete.

Thanks again, I will be leaving the survey open as I would like as many people as possible to answer.
  9. werlin

werlin nDisplay

only saw it just now, but done, already filled out and sent ;) good luck
  10. jr2h

jr2h New Member

Cheers guys!

Just bumping to get some more answers - many thanks to those who have taken the time already!

Have been spending considerable time developing my Max patch, and its now sprawling all over the place. Really pleased with it so far though.
    It displays 2 videos fading in and out of each other every 4th beat in the music with effects triggered by the lows and mids in the audio, and then 2 more vids fading in and out the same way which come in either at a time interval of my choice or a number of beats of my choice - it also mixes an abstract spinning and stretching video when there are substantial highs present. As substantial lows (like kick drum) are detected, I have animated my name to be spelt out letter by letter on the screen.

It all makes for quite a busy screen, and a hot processor, so i'm trying to scale back the effects to calm everything down. Also on the lookout for some cool loops I can stick in that are short in length and not abstract, since the effects I have automated do a pretty good job of abstracting for me. I have found some cool stuff on archive.org but if anyone knows of any other sources I would be grateful.

Thinking of animal & human faces?!

Thanks again.

James
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  11. Scratchpole

Scratchpole Hmm still thinking...

Cool, done, good luck and don't forget to publish your results.
  12. jr2h

jr2h New Member

Happy New Year!

Hello all. Just a quick bump up to see if I can get any more answers. Up to 17 now, but 25 it my target.

Here is the link to Survey Monkey if anyones interested

Hope everyone had a productive festive period.

James